Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Computer question
09-17-2009, 10:56 AM,
Re: Dive Computer question
Very easy to use.  I do not use the air integrated version.  I use a separate analog SPG.
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM,
Another plug for the Vyper.  Very reliable and built by a good company.  I would focus on equipment reliability versus features.

If you are a rec diver I recommend going with a basic computer that supports air/nitrox.  If you don't dive often then the additional perceived safety a feature like air integration offers may be important to you.  I'm as techie a person you will ever meet but I would recommend spending money on a better set of regs or buoyancy device versus a computer. 

I bought my rec diver wife a Gekko computer last Christmas.  Honestly, a computer like that meets the needs of 95% of rec divers.

--Jason
09-17-2009, 02:12 PM,
I agree with all that and want to add, The price has nothing to do with what's better or worse. I was dumb and bought an expensive integrated Oceanic and after 25 dives, replaced it with an inexpensive Duo. I didn't like all the beeping and the screen was polluted with useless info. So, don't look at price and think somehow it's better, different maybe.

I use an SPG, SK7 and 2 Duo. I'm not endorsing the Duo but I like it. It has some issues like the wet contacts can stay 'wet' if they are in contact with anything damp and log a 2 day dive and crash the firmware (easy reset). The buttons press too easy and you end up in gauge mode. On the good side, it's simple, inexpensive and does 2 gasses. I've had them for 4 years, all good.

I'll ask my brother about the D9, he's been diving it for a year. The only thing I remember him saying is the compass is useless under water.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
09-17-2009, 06:24 PM,
I use a Suunto Vyper on my console and a wrist mounted Tusa IQ 700. I am a dyed in the wool Agua Lung fan and I dont know for sure but I think Suunto is owned or at least in bed with Aqua Lung. Even with this relationship, I like the Tusa much better. The computer is more user friendly, It was cheaper (even if I didn't win it at a Smith Diving treasure dive), and a person can switch from air to nitrox during the same dive. The data retrieval after the dive is straight forward. Neither one of these are air integrated, and I am ok with that. It is hard to beat an analog SPG. As far as the need for a built in compass... I dont think anyone really needs this. In my mind built in compass's are just a trinket and not a real deal. Suunto SK7 compass on the back of the console works just fine for me. Why add to the task loading when you are at 100' pitch black and your primary light is starting to dim. You start your ascent and then you try to stroll through the "pages" on your computer screen to check your ascent rate against your actual depth. Then roll to another page to get your air quantity. You switch to the compass mode to head South back to shore and the battery in the computer just dies... Oh yeah then add in the narcosis and the other two or three things that you have come up unexpectedly... these cool gadgets can get people hurt if you are not careful. 
09-18-2009, 05:24 AM,
Hi Scouter,

Sorry for the delay in the response; we sell Sherwood, Genesis, and Aeris computers. We have six different computers in stock.
09-18-2009, 06:31 AM,
Hey guys - all really good stuff for me. KISS amazing how often that principal comes up in life. A good reminder for me.

I really appreciate all the feed back, I am eating it up. It is helping me sort things out. Basically I really am getting the feeling I will be renting equipment for a while to try before buying. A lot of features is seems are more personal preference than function based.

All is good. I am big into the shooting sports and there too a lot different guns available but that doesn't mean there is a lot of difference in suitability. Most are very good for competition just some are more comfortable or convenient for one while others are preferred by someone else.

At the end of the day my take away are the reasons that people make the choices they do. These are the things I need to gather up then determine which are important for me.

Again THANK YOU ALL
Brian
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM,
There is a lot of preference involved.  I use an Oceanic VT3 which is air integrated and hoseless.  I like it a lot and I don't expect I will ever go to anything different.

I just bought the DSS boot for it so I can bungee it to my wrist instead of using the rubber strap.  That should give extra security since if one strap breaks, another will keep it on me so I don't end up losing the computer.  It should also compensate for depth so it doesn't get loose on me.
09-18-2009, 08:39 AM,
I had a TUSA IQ700 and it started to act up when it was just over 2 years old.  It started to jump depth on me when I was not moving.  I was told it would cost some good money to fix and was advised to buy new.

I bought a Suunto Vyper Air, and I love it!  It is air integrated, but have kept the SPG for a backup.  Love the fact that it caculates air time left and also logs all of my consumption so I can analyse later.  It does have a compass which I have used once or twice with no problems.  Over all, it is a great computer.

For a first computer, I would agree with the idea of going simple.  After a few years, you can always upgrade to more features.  Starting out there are many things to think about and how to use the computer does not need to be one of them. 
09-18-2009, 10:07 AM,
I started with a Vyper and upgraded to the Vytech. I use the air integrated model but I also carry a standard SPG. The air integrated is a nice feature because it calculates your time based off your current breathing rate .It is a multi-gas computer. Very simple to use and reliable. I also wear mine on the wrist mount. I would stay away from the D9 if you're going to be doing any MN or cold water diving.