Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fins
05-13-2002, 09:17 PM,
Fins
Hello Everyone, I just joined MSG today.  Finally a forum to communicate with other local divers. This is great. <br> I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on fins.  I currently have the ScubaPro Jetfins I bout about ten years ago.  They're still in great shape, but is there something more efficient out there I shoud take a look at? <br>  I do most of my divng at local lakes using the standard kick.
GO DIVING!
05-13-2002, 11:13 PM,
Re: Fins
I can only base my opinion on what I've heard/read, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt...<br><br>First, welcome to the board! Second, it seems as though you made a great purchase 10 years ago as Jet Fins are still a popular choice today. You probably don't need anything better than what you already have. FYI, I have the ScubaPro Twin Jets, which are great as well. I'm sure others will have better words of wisdom for you, just thought I'd get my two cents in quick due to my aparent insomnia this evening!
05-14-2002, 03:03 AM,
Re: Fins
Chris is right.  There is nothing wrong with your Jet fins but if you only do a standard kick you may want to give split fins a try.  They are more efficient and create less drag and therefore can give you better air consumption.  They aren't as effective at doing other types of kicks than the standard flutter kick though.  
05-14-2002, 04:04 AM,
Re: Alternate Kicking
Good point GP...<br>I tried doing a 'frog kick' Saturday, and although it DID work, I'm sure it would be much more effective with non split fins, such as the Jets.
06-12-2002, 08:37 AM,
More fin info
Yesterday I was scuba diving with a friend that had jetfins.  We started out freediving and right away he wanted the cressi's I had let him try a few weeks ago.  They are an extra pair I bring along in case I have trouble with my pure carbons...anyway.. when we switched to scuba he still wanted to keep the cressi's on...he could not believe the efficiency of the freediving fins compared to the jetfins.  He did mention that they did lack a little in manueverability...being near the bottom while turning..and turns tend to be a bit wider than with short fins, they are about 34" over all (my pure carbons are 38" overall)  The fins he borrowed were the Cressi Gara's 2000hf.  There is a reason freedivers use fins like this... efficiency.. and you wouldn't believe how efficient unless you tried them.  I can't go back to any kinda scuba fin now... maybe if I was wreck diving...  I've been through swim-throughs in Mexico with the pure carbons with absolutely no trouble.  I love 'em.
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-29-2002, 04:34 PM,
Re:Fins
I have a pair of Mares Volo fins and they work really good. A few people have told me I have taken off on them and it was never my intention to take off on my dive buddy. The nice thing is you need to use far less power to move, so you tend to have more air on those dives that you have a long underwater swim.
07-30-2002, 02:30 PM,
Yep...Those fins do move!!!!<br>I had a heck of a time keeping up with you.<br>(especially at the shallower depths...10 Ft above etc...)<br><br>But I did, and I was very surprised with myself!!!!<br><br>Thanks...Jean<br><br>
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
07-30-2002, 02:44 PM,
I have the Dacor Tiger's (much like the Volo's) I LOVE THEM!!! A wonderful fin, nothing wrong with my old rocket fins, but man do those Dacor's move!
07-31-2002, 07:11 PM,
I use Force fins and don't want to use anything else. It's what I got started with in open water classes, then bought for myself because they were comfortable and worked great. When I bought a dry suit, it was neoprene with large size boots installed, my wet suit fins wouldn't fit. I was living in a different part of the country and had trouble finding a force fin dealer, so tried something different, the typical long regular fin, rated well by local divers. I tried them out and hated them. They kept bumping each other and it felt like there was something pulling on them for every kick. I never put them back on, I bought a larger set of Force fins to fit the dry suit and they work great. They are small, but I can keep up with anyone and use less air doing it.<br><br>Something someone told me once came back to me. This girl that worked at a shop in Washington had used the standard style of fins, she tried the force fins and said she didn't like them because it felt like they weren't there. They were that much easier on the legs but she wanted to feel the burn I guess. <br><br>HG
07-31-2002, 09:26 PM,
All I can add is that whatever fins you buy make sure you replace the rubber straps with stainless steel spring straps. Next to a bungied backup, it is the best change I have made.
--Jason