Remember me
Lost Password Register

Warning in a dive computer manual
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM,
Warning in a dive computer manual
"This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is
certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about,
or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of
information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives,
obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.
This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on
it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute
for knowledge and training.
No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your
best defense. (Except for not doing the dive, of course.)"

PS: I'm going to buy this one, no joke, it's a very good computer and I guess they are just being honest.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM,
Re: Warning in a dive computer manual
What computer?

07-07-2010, 04:23 PM,
Shearwater. Reports on thedecostop and others say it's very good.

Don't mistake my post as gear bashing. I enjoyed the honesty when they say software has bugs.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM,

Didn't take it as gear bashing, especially since you said you were going to buy one. It was just curiosity on my part. I have never seen that in an owner's manual before. I know a few people that dive that computer and are very happy with it.
07-07-2010, 08:15 PM,
It's just their craven lawyer setting up a defense against the "they didn't tell me not to pour the coffee in my lap" lawsuit.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-07-2010, 10:37 PM,
I have this computer!  Very nice display an simple to use!  Finding teh right tables to go along with theGradient is anotherthing.  For the VR3 I use Vplanner which is VPM.  For the shearwater which is gradient I use IDECO on my Ipod.I like it!
Jeff
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM,
What do you expect
Bruce Partridge (Manufacturer) was friends with Gordon Smith ( Kiss Rebreather )
Have you seen the disclamer on the Kiss?
Bob
07-09-2010, 09:12 AM,
Smile I saw this thread and I remembered this picture I saw:

Attached Files
.jpg   539-stupid-warning.jpg (Size: 33.08 KB / Downloads: 75)
.jpg   539-stupid-warning.jpg (Size: 33.08 KB / Downloads: 75)
07-09-2010, 09:40 AM,
And how does this Relate to anything?
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
07-09-2010, 10:04 AM,
And how does this Relate to anything?
[/quote]

I was just trying to be humorous. When I saw the post with the honest warning label on the dive computer that says that this computer will fail and not to count on it for keeping you alive. I know some rebreathers have a similar warning that say something to the effect that this rig can fail at any given moment... When I saw the stupid warning on the revolver, I thought that is just what this world needs is more warning labels on things stating the obvious. Sorry for hijacking this topic about dive computers. My sense of humor is very dry at times.