Remember me
Lost Password Register

gear placement
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM,
gear placement
Strictly speaking were does DIR stand on dive sheers? I don't think i've seen it addressed. Location if any?

One 'steak' knife on the belt. What about a second cutting device? In condition where a second device is prudent do they rely exclusively on the buddies knife as the second?

I didn't see it in the pocket contents list and it's unlikely a good place.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-27-2009, 03:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2009, 04:04 PM by Hydro.)
Re: gear placement
shoulder strap? according to the GUE book on gear placement i think they only expect one knife to be worn... and i'm unimpressed with the kitchen knife myself... i like the line cutter blade for fishing line.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM,
I know very little about DIR, but I think they believe in redundancy. I cant speak to what they believe in exactly... but I carry 3 cutting devices: One mini titanium knife attached to my BC on the left side (this would not work for DIR as they do not use BC's)  One knife with a carbide back for cable across the cumberbun. (again DIR = no cumberbun) One shear in a sheath on my right thigh pocket. If one hand is immobile, then I can get to one on the other side. If I drop one while trying to cut "Spyder Wire", then I wont need to sweat it as I have two more in reserve.  I haven't seen many divers using the classic leg knife.

Is there such a thing as over redundancy? sure there is. If you go through all the "What if's" you could not carry all of the redundancy to cover everything. 3 cutting devices do not take up all that much space or create too much drag. I would feel uncomfortable without using at a bare minimum 2 cutting devices.
10-27-2009, 06:41 PM,
From what I have mostly seen DIR divers that carry shears stow them in a drysuit thigh pocket and then clip it off to a bungee loop inside the pocket with a double ender bolt snap.  To keep the shears from opening in the pocket I've seen some that use a small piece of PVC tubing as a sheath.
10-27-2009, 06:52 PM,
While diving at Calhoun a couple weeks ago I lost my shear that was in the "knife sheath" that came on my thigh pockets. DUI had an elastic loop that I would pull over one of the shear handles. I thought this would keep it there but NOPE! Since then I took the "Sea Snips" velcro flap sheath that came with my shears, cut it and glued the flap and velcro on over the factory knife sheath on the thigh pocket. Now the shear will be more secure and it will not snag stuff on the handle like it did before. Just a thought...
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM,
I dove with a guy a couple weeks ago that had his shears in a sheath on his shoulder strap. Looked like a realy good spot.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
10-28-2009, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2009, 07:52 AM by arcFlash.)
The shoulder is bad for me. I already have my backup lights, stage(s), HID, and regs clipped to shoulder. The shape is just bad. The best I could think of was to attach it to my gators (inside like a boot knife) but I still think it's going to collect weeds and stuff.

I'll try the pocket and see how well that works. I'm not very skilled with pockets, it always seams like a tangle and then you still have to stuff the rest back in or it too will get caught in whatever your in.

Thanks everyone.
For those reading and don't know any DIR. You clip regs to your right shoulder when they are deployed but not being used at the moment. Like your backgas reg when your breathing something else. I've had 2 clipped at one time, it's already too busy with 4 items on 1 D-ring.
10-28-2009, 03:16 PM,
I have an "Old School" dive knife on my left calf and a pair of shears clipped to the D ring on the right shoulder.  The shears sheath is then tucked a bit Under the strap closer to my chest.  Folding pocket knives can be stowed in BC pockets and are fairly cheap at some hardware stores ($4.99).

With any kind of cutting tool, be sure to dry it completly outside of it's sheath between dives so it doesn't get rusty and useless!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM,
The "steak" knife I use is $15, stainless. I wouldn't think twice about ditching it and it works very well. I've cut a lot of junk and it's still holding an edge. I gave my expensive knife away to a blue water friend.