Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit Training
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM,
Drysuit Training
After doing some research, I'm finding that drysuit classes are scarce this time of year  ???, why I don't know.  Anyone have any ideas on who might be scheduling training?  The wetsuit season in MN is too short and I'd like to get into drysuit diving.

Thanks!
Michelle 
11-05-2009, 12:59 PM,
Re: Drysuit Training
Have you tried just calling a shop and asking if they will run one for you?  I think See Ya Diving is very flexible with scheduling so that might be a good place to start.
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM,
I have been diving a drysuit for around 20yrs never took a class, hope I don't get carded ;D

When I pickup my first (used) drysuit I grab a weight belt and headed over to Square Lake and started playing.
Was around this same time of the year.

Al
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM,
I think the class is a good idea.  We did a pool session first and then a couple lake dives.  It was only like $100 and there were just 3 people in the class.  To me, it is money well spent to have the attention of an experienced diver show you the ropes with a new piece of equipment.  There are certainly other ways to get that that don't require paying for a class but I'm glad I took the class.
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM,

I have called some shops.  They will run one if you already own a drysuit.  I was hoping to try one out in the pool first before I purchased one. 
11-05-2009, 03:53 PM,
I was allowed to rent a dry suit for ice training without prior experience. I did not receive a card for dry, only ice but I got pool time in a drysuit and reasonable suit instruction before ice dives. I bought a suit about 2 weeks later. I have not had any control issues for lack of training. If your weighted correctly they are very easy to control.

If your the type of learner that gets a lot out of instruction than it's a good deal. If you are more kinesthetic then you really just need time in the water and ice training could provide that opportunity with instructors.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-05-2009, 04:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM by mattd.)
I was told you can't do the ice class unless you already have the drysuit class done.

It makes sense.  I wouldn't want to be learning a whole new bouyancy control with a bunch of ice above me.  If it gets away from you, you might crash (hopefully feet first) into the ice.

GUDC has them for rental in several sizes if you can't find other shops that do.  Perhaps you can schedule a discover scuba type lesson with one of the drysuits?

I didn't have any problem renting a drysuit for my class.  Perhaps the shops have all sold their rental fleet at end of season sales?  It seems odd to me they are telling you they will offer the class but only if you have your own.
11-05-2009, 06:22 PM,
You dont need the drysuit card to do the ice class. You can do it wet.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM,
That's true.  I am not interested in doing it wet so I didn't think of that.
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM,
Scuba Center let me and I had no trouble. None of use did. Probably 5 other divers. Class had 12 I think.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.