Remember me
Lost Password Register

Freshwater Underwater Clicking Noise. Plankton??
10-30-2009, 01:16 PM,
Freshwater Underwater Clicking Noise. Plankton??
similar to the Clicking noise in marine that is caused as i understand by reef fish chewing on corals. we noticed this summer that in afew spots there was a localized high(noisy) area that had a dense clicking. I was at the time thinking it was a gathering of plankton for some reason that was causing the clicking. there was indeed a good amount of free floating daphnia like  organisms.  also of interest this was the one spot along this shoreline that a number of fish were gathering in. mainly large bluegills, bass and afew pike. the rest of this shoreline had just afew small bluegills and occasional odd minnow. ..

my question is has anyone else seen such a phenomenon where in one small area there is some kind of underwater clicking in just one small spot and several fish were gathering around? and does anyone know what this might be caused by?

sound was like dozens of people were clicking their finger nails at the same time.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM,
Re: Freshwater Underwater Clicking Noise. Plankton??
any fresh water drum fish there?
Cold and dark down there huh?
10-30-2009, 04:00 PM,
What lake?

Could it be crayfish moving bits of rock? The fish were being opportunistic feeders?

I don't think I've hear it in fresh water but I know the sound.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-31-2009, 05:16 AM,
ive heard this in several lakes since i first noticed it. the spot that realy got my attention was in Lake Sylvia on the edge of the cities. there was a spot that dropped from maybee 6ft with weeds and lilypads to over 20ft deep with 20ft vis. by the way the weeds in the lake are increadibly deep. some spots i think the weed mats are 8-15ft in deepth. i sank down in one spot so deep in weed without hitting bottom that it freaked me out!
anyways definitly not drum. and ive been in spots Thick with crayfish and never noticed any effect but will keep an eye out next time. im realy under the impression the sound effect was from some kind of invertebrate like plankton or perhaps aquatic insect larvae. it was realy loud and isolated in one spot because as i moved around it had a strange direction and localization, as much as is possible underwater. and what got me currious is that a number of fish were kinda pilled up in this area. in particular was that i noticed pike only in that spot.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM,
Freshwater shrimp?
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM,
I've see bass make nests of pebbles. They move them with their tails.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-02-2009, 07:59 AM,
Freshwater Shrimp, i didnt think of that. I know that there are some limmited Aquaculture farming of the large species of Gammarus(?). ive seen them before and they run over an inch long! and are actualy stocked in duck swamps to attract ducks. would be interesting to see, but they dont surrvive in any numbers if fish are present. but in the right shallow system they can multiply into the thousands. but maybee a small number of these were gathering for some reason. i dont know if they make much noise. very interesting if these were the cause.
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM,

I haven't seen any over about a half inch. I have come out of ponds with thousands of them covering my gear and those ponds had fish.  I think they make a snapping sound as they flex to move, and I suppose they also make a snapping sound as they become lunch for the fish. Wink 

I don't recall if there was that crackling sound in those particular ponds though. 
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM,
If your interested in checking out an example of the large specied freshwater shrimp. Vados bait and tackle(twin ciites) gets them for a limmited time in the winter. actualy i think these run closer to 2 inches in length, these are aquaculture farm raised,with some wild caught both a minnesota product.
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM,
I have never noticed this in inland freshwater lakes, but almost always hear it in the ocean.  I've heard it in Micronesea and the caribbean.  I have aways heard these sounds and assumed it was just the environmental sounds that we don't normally hear (as we hear so much better underwater).  I would guess that we are hearing a portion of the marine life sounds along with any  man-made sounds like boat motors and underwater cables (electrical/phone etc.).  I'm sure that when you hear the clicking/static-like sounds underwater, you are just hearing a portion of what all the critters hear all the time.