Remember me
Lost Password Register

WHO ARE SOME OF THE DEEPEST DIVERS IN MIDWEST
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM,
Re: WHO ARE SOME OF THE DEEPEST DIVERS IN MIDWEST

Not to be a downer... but I agree too. My dads little brother drown in a mud puddle when he was a little kid. I always knew since I was little that you don't need to be deep to drown.
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM,
Not to be a downer... but I agree too. My dads little brother drown in a mud puddle when he was a little kid. I always knew since I was little that you don't need to be deep to drown.
[/quote]

Detector, that's so sad  Sad.  It seems both you and your dad learned a valuable lesson from a horrible tragedy. 
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM,
180' on air
USS curb
three mil wetsuit
Halcyon pioneer backplate and wings
LP 120
Florida Keys

Chasin Grouper, Pink Floyd comfortably numb and dark side of the Moon, playing reel to reel in the background of my head. 8)

I have since completed my advanced Nitrox and stage deco ,but usually go with a single tank when I'm spearing fish.(Can't take my doubles on the plane) Much more of a relaxing dive with doubles and planed decompression.
12-09-2009, 09:59 PM,
230' in Lake Wazee
Double LP 108's with a 16/50 mix
AL80 of 32%
AL40 of 80%
Diverite BP and harness/ Apeks 80lb wing
Total Cost of gas mixes.....$180
What's down there you ask????  A line that goes.....somewhere
Will I spend another $200 on trimix to find out where??? Damn straight I will
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM,
Few thoughts.  Purpose of going deeper?  Some great shipwrecks down deep so there is a big advantage to technical diving in this area.  For developing good technique I would recommend cave training in N FL (personal preferences for Richard Dreher (superiordivetraining.com) or Larry Green (eaglesnestdiving.com I think that's the link).  For rebreathers Rob Benson is who has been recommended to me - I'm going rebreather in 2010 (Megladon).  One other rebreather you should consider is the VR Sentinel - it has a C02 sensor (nearest instructor I could find is eastern Wisconsin).

Good luck in your quest.  I've gone deep but I'm no where near the caliber of a lot of the local divers around here (270' Eagles Nest, FL / 250' Kamloops - Isle Royale).
12-12-2009, 07:20 PM,
Goldie, yours is not the first post that I 've seen referencing cave diving as a good step off for deep. I've just certified adv nitro & deco-TDI. What is the thinking behind this. I don't know that much about cave, but, my thinking is that it is more horizontal. Is it more on gear configuration and self reliance? I'm just starting to get my feet wet in the technical side.
Joe<br /><br />&quot;It is better to be doing than to wish you were doing&quot;-Me
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM,
Planning, execution and technique.  Cave is the only form of diving that has very rigid rules and protocols and where form is scrutinized severely.  You have to maintain proper form and situational awareness going through a muddy passage 1,000' away from the entrance.  You are right that most cave diving is done in the 60-120' range.  However, there are a lot of caves that exceed current human limits.  Missouri for instance has some caves where the bottom is unknown.
12-19-2009, 09:06 AM,
Thanks. I can see how it would get into technic, equipment configuration, and personal situation awareness. I assume that you become more self responsible as opposed to always buddy trained like in ow.
It sounds like deep/technical diving is a nice starting point for the cave diver.
Joe<br /><br />&quot;It is better to be doing than to wish you were doing&quot;-Me