Remember me
Lost Password Register

Going Under Dive Center Rebreather Forum
03-03-2003, 10:55 AM,
Re:Going Under Dive Center Rebreather Forum
I'd attend this. I doubt I'll ever own a rebreather but I'd be interested to learn more about them.
03-04-2003, 10:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2003, 09:43 AM by Chuck_Northrup.)
Hello again List,

Sorry it has taken me so long to follow up on my post, but I am not much in the email/internet department. First of all I would like to thank everyone who has expressed interest in the rebreather night, especially those who have contacted me OFF LIST. Those of you, who have made posts on list, while we can certainly accommodate you, are not technically signed up yet. If you did contact me off list you should have received a private email from me already, so this will not be new information to you. I need your real name, not your screen name in order to sign you up. I know this is asking that you give up anonymity, but unless you really want to be referred to as bubblebuttdiver@gq.com your Christian name would be most useful.

Steve Philbrook, one of Going Under Dive Center’s other fulltime instructors, and I have tentatively scheduled March 20th as the “show and tell” night and the 21st as the pool night. Diving takes place over debating any day in my book, and an upcoming British Columbia trip makes this the earliest date possible for me. As of this writing very few have specified wishing to do the pool session. Unless you tell me otherwise I will assume you are signing up for Thursday only. Each night will begin promptly at 7:00 at GUDC. The store closes at 7:00 so to avoid being locked out come a little early.

If any of you have just come across this post and are interested in attending, there is still room available. Email me at Chuck@goingunder.net those of you who have already emailed me, please confirm or cancel your spot. I realize the dates may not work for some of you and I promise I will try to schedule a second session if need be.

The response generated by my original post in a word “surprised” me. Those interested in attending range from open water diver to full cave trimix divers, what a spectrum! I am looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing the silent world of rebreather diving with you. Please come with an open mind so that everyone will take away a positive experience.

Safe Diving,

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center
Don't believe the hype!
03-19-2003, 01:49 PM,
General reminder that the GUDC Rebreather Night is tomorrow night at 7pm. Please contact the store if you need directions. Chuck recommends that you arrive early.
--Jason
03-20-2003, 11:53 AM,

General reminder that the GUDC Rebreather Night is tonight at 7pm. Please contact the store if you need directions. Chuck recommends that you arrive early.
--Jason
03-20-2003, 03:05 PM,
Sad Sad Sad It looks like I will be stuck at work! >Sad >Sad :-[
03-20-2003, 08:02 PM,
I just got done with work, You guy will have to fill me in on how it went.

Any converts now?
03-21-2003, 12:11 AM,

We had about a dozen people attend the GUDC Rebreather seminar hosted by Chuck Northrup. The seminar was excellent. We spent four hours discussing rebreather history, design, and skills. We participated in a hands-on review of three rebreather models -- Drager Dolphin, Ray, and Inspiration. We discussed safety procedures and some of the maintenance issues associated with rebreathers.

The seminar was more thorough than some dive classes -- and it was free. I truly wish more dive shops would offer this type of hands on training. I appreciate GUDC sponsoring this seminar. Chuck is an outstanding teacher.

I walked away from the seminar feeling much more comfortable with rebreather design. Although I am not experienced enough to debate the pros and cons, I can "visualize" the issues better.
--Jason
03-21-2003, 06:12 AM,
I totally agree with Jason. This was an excellent presentation by Chuck and I enjoyed it. Smile
03-21-2003, 07:20 AM,
I'd like to thank GUDC, esp. Chuck, for the informative symposium last evening. Even though I've read about rebreathers, it was very helpful for me to know their history, see them disassembled and reassembled, and hear those who dive them share their experiences, in order for to have a better understanding of rebreathers. ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
03-21-2003, 10:37 AM,
Thought I would also thank Going Under Dive Center and Chuck for taking the time last night to go over everything. I think that we covered alot of inportant aspects of rebreathers. Also a thank you to all the current rebreather divers that attended and added to the discussions.

Just a note for those that didn't attend-- Chuck did a great job of presenting all the facts about rebreathers and allowing everyone to ask questions and form there own opion on what is the best equiptment (OC vs Rebreather) for the diving they want to do.

Chris Bloss