Remember me
Lost Password Register

What is your definition of "Technical Diving"
11-18-2009, 09:19 PM,
Re: What is your definition of "Technical Diving"
I like this
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
11-19-2009, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009, 05:18 PM by hansdive.)
DetectorGuy - SDI does have a solo diver certification.

Technical diving is a thought process. This process is one that most recreational divers do not consider. It includes planning, practice, redundency, and specific gear configurations. Technical diving is not always about going deeper but having the ability to stay at a depth longer(exceeding the NDL).

Just because a diver went below 130' it doesnt make them a technical diver. A lot of people can survive a dive below 130' but to actually plan the dive out and know all the factors of the dive is a way different thing, a different mentality.
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM by arcFlash.)
I'll agree as well, It's mostly hubris. TheDecoStop lists a lot of fatals attributed to poor skills on 'tech' dives so we all know it's effect. It's not helping for sure.

So, jeff, who did you mean by "you"? Was it in general or those that dive outside their certs needs training? I'm trained for what I do. I'm also trained for stuff I don't do. I don't need a definition for that matter, I thought it would be an interesting post. So far so good. I didn't realize so many diver actually dive past their certs. I've never been tempted. Actually, even my OW limit of 60 was in tact for AOW cert. I only had 4 dives on my own after OW before AOW so I didn't see anything but square lake.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM,
Arcflash you missed the for all wondering.  Not singling anyone out. 
  Sorry bout that!
11-20-2009, 11:56 AM,
The National Park Service defines Technical diving as a dive with any other gas but air, below 140 feet or requireing a decompression stop. 
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM,

Captain Brian,

A couple question about the National Park Service definition:

Are they including standard Nitrox mixes as Technical Diving?

If a diver plans to do a recreational dive and accidentally overstays the NDL and must make a deco stop, does it then become a technical dive in their eyes?

Just curiosity on my part.
11-20-2009, 04:31 PM,

Captain Brian,

If a diver plans to do a recreational dive and accidentally overstays the NDL and must make a deco stop, does it then become a technical dive in their eyes?

[/quote]
I borowed this Hope it helps.
The following table tries to set out the broad indicative parameters of what is normally regarded as technical rather than recreational diving.

Technical dives may be defined as being either dives to depths deeper than 130 feet / 40 meters or dives in an overhead environment with no direct access to the surface or natural light. Such environments may include fresh and saltwater caves and the interior of shipwrecks. In many cases, technical dives also include planned decompression carried out over a number of stages during a controlled ascent to the surface at the end of the dive.

The depth-based definition is derived from the fact that breathing regular air while experiencing pressures causes a progressively increasing amount of impairment due to nitrogen narcosis that normally becomes serious at depths of 100 feet / 30 metres or greater. Increasing pressure at depth also increases the risk of oxygen toxicity based on the partial pressure of oxygen in the breathing mixture. For this reason technical diving often includes the use of breathing mixtures other than air.

These factors increase the level of risk and training required for technical diving far beyond that required for recreational diving. This is a fairly conservative definition of technical diving.

Inability to ascend directly

11-21-2009, 08:25 PM,

Captain Brian,

[/quote]
Yes any Nitrox mix is considered technical diving to the Park Service.  Accidental deco is a grey area and is not covered in the permit wording
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com