Remember me
Lost Password Register

Scuba Movies
03-01-2003, 06:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2003, 05:36 PM by igotoofar.)
Scuba Movies
I was just thinking about picking up a movie. This got me to thinking about getting one with some scuba in it.

Any suggestions?

I seem to recall a movie about free diving. I think it was called "Deep Blue" or something like that.
03-01-2003, 07:01 PM,
Re:Scuba Movies
It was the "Big Blue". Also, there are numerous Bond movies with scuba in it, especially Thunderball. Also, check out The Deep with Nick Nolte. My personal favorite: The Abyss.
03-01-2003, 07:07 PM,
I have all the Bond movies, Just watched them a few months ago.

I will have to get the deep, I also enjoyed the Abyss but had forgot about it.
03-02-2003, 11:30 AM,
For non-movie classic stuff maybe you could find somewhere the episodes of Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. I know they have them all up at the Brainerd dive shop. ;D
Leon
03-02-2003, 06:12 PM,
I rented Dark Descent. What a sleeper!

The set was made up of corridors arranged in a square figure 8. They spent a lot of time walking in the hallways to give the impression they were on a huge ship. If you paid attention, you could tell they were just walking in circles.

Recommendation ===> Stay away
03-03-2003, 11:09 PM,
The Big Blue was a great film. Not much in the way of scuba, but a great free diving story. There was another movie out about the same time as the Abyss called Leviathon. My recommendation on this one... don't bother.
03-05-2003, 05:49 PM,
The ABYSS is a great movie for sure. If your so inclined, you can buy the special addition on DVD. It has a second disk that has a hour long documentary "Making of the Abyss". The film was shot in two very large tanks. Both tanks are actually parts of a nuclear reactor project that never got finished. The main tank(reactor) is like an inverted bowl, and about 40ft. deep. The crew made LONG dives, up to several hours. Scuba tanks were filled underwter at a special 'fill station' made for the movie. The helmets (hard hats) used were again special made for the movie. The cast are interveiwed about scuba, and the comments are quite interesting. Smile
03-11-2003, 06:48 PM,
The Big Blue- director's cut. 8)

I have also seen a great film about commercial diving clalled THE DIVE. These guys are stuck in a bell and running out of gas. They end up finishing off their deco breathing argox that's so thick they can barely inhale it.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-11-2003, 07:23 PM,
I get a kick out of the Bond movie where he is scuba diving and then gets pulled from depth out of the water way up into the air being towed by an airplane. :Smile
03-12-2003, 06:25 PM,
This is going to date me in the wrong way, but I really like the episode of Scooby Doo when they go underwater to investigate a haunting (go figure). It was entertaining watching them talk coherently and run underwater at full speed and actually make headway. Would that I could do that.