Lost Password Register

Cavern class
12-14-2009, 08:39 AM,
Cavern class
Big Grin
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
12-14-2009, 08:42 AM,
Re: Cavern class
Got back from Bonne Terre, MO last night. Did a cavern class down at the mine. It was a lot of fun especially the lights out drills Big Grin
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM,
I was looking at the price list. It looks like you almost have to book a room as well. They list $65 a dive! Can it be worth that? I'm not cheap but that sounds like a lot for ONE dive.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM,
Theres a couple hotels in town, you don't have to stay there, its just an option. The $65 covers the guide. Its not a place you would want to go on your own. You would miss way to much stuff. Plus its privately owned so you have pay to play in there lake. Can it be worth it? I would say yes
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM,
I have dove at Bonne Terre Mines a couple times, the last time being over the 4th of July, 2000.

I was consulting at GE in Louisville at the time and the ex had to work that weekend, so it wasn't worth flying home, but yet I wanted to "blow some bubbles". I registered for their NAUI Advanced Open Water Diver Class (I was already a PADI Divemaster) simply because the course required approximately six dives or so (if I recall) and I figured it would be some cheap diving.

I had "Bear" as my Instructor and I let him know right away what my certification level was and that I was simply attending the course as a means to "blow some bubbles" at their mines. I passed the required dives with ease so "Bear" took me back to areas that they normally do not allow divers, and yes, he allowed me to bring a dive light, which normally is not allowed. They have some really neat "stuff" that are off the beaten path, since we were both experienced divers, we had tons of bottom time. I think he and I did this on two occasions while the rest of the students were struggling with their "no light" dives.

Yes, when you figure the "cost per dive", it is expensive, but I think it is a dive that everyone should do some day, it is really cool.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM,
So do you intend to go further than cavern?
Jeff
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
12-16-2009, 06:31 AM,
Yes Jeff I do plan on going farther but I'm limited by my gear right now. I need to set up some doubles and all the things that go along with that.

Dave, Bear was my instructor also, very nice guy.
12-16-2009, 09:13 AM,
That's cool.  Doubles are nice.  Little bit by little bit an you will be there.  We have been diving the mines in Sourthern Wis.  Quite enjoyable to have 50 degree water year round.  Beats cutting ice.  But there really is no cavern.  Get your gear an I can hook you up fro the rest of the training.  Very good instructer in those parts.
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM,
Just curious about gear. Did you consider a RB? By the your done with all of the advanced traing a RB makes more sense.
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM,
I am quite sure I wouldn't want to learn a re breather an full cave at the same time!  Re breathers are a great tool but they also have a learning curve.  For me yes a re breather is my next step.  Not for caves but for other reasons.  An from what I have been told it means I will have to stay shallow until I am comfortable an proficient with the unit.
Jeff