Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hand Held Scuba Sonar underwater murky water fish finder
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM,
Hand Held Scuba Sonar underwater murky water fish finder
i was reading an old 80's vintage pamphlet from Lowrance, it has mention of use by scuba divers of a hand held underwater sonar device for use in seeing suspending fish in low vis waters. anyone familiar with this. it would not surprise me if this was a home built device that was done at that time. I'm also not sure but i would imagine based on the time(technology) that it was a flasher.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
12-19-2009, 10:29 PM,
Re: Hand Held Scuba Sonar underwater murky water fish finder
I am not familiar with the one you mentioned, but there is one currently produced that is an amazing piece of equipment. However it is not really affordable for divers in general. They are a bit spendy. It is more geared for military, law enforcement and port security applications. I saw it being used on "Monster Quest" on the History channel. The SONARĀ  produces video/still images of resolution that allows you to identify your target (divers, large marine life, ship wrecks, etc.).

Here is the link:

Their home page shows the resolution of the SONAR units:

12-20-2009, 07:07 AM,

The version sold for scuba looked like this one. If I remember correctly it was sold by ScubaPro. But my memory could be flawed ;D

Al
12-20-2009, 09:56 AM,
I do remember seeing that device being sold. Although it was for depth readings, not for "seeing" suspended fish.
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM,
Its made by scuba-pro and you canĀ  detect a anchor line at quite a distance. Check with them.
12-21-2009, 02:08 AM,
thanks for the very interesting replies. I'm familiar with the Expensive military/rescue side scan equipment. I'm under the impression the old pamphlet i was reading was referencing something more primitive in design. possibly something that was a do it yourself construction. I imagine a flasher striped down and encased in a housing might be what they were referring to.80's technology
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;