Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry suit weighting
03-16-2003, 07:56 PM,
Re:Dry suit weighting
Thanks beeger,

I've read your posts in and outside of this subject, and yes, you are helping ! This is a great board and I'm planning on staying a while !

On the point I made earlier in this post, I have a SeaQuest Balance BC. I love this BC with my wetsuit and an Aluminum 80, but will it suffice for use with a drysuit?? This is the question I havn't had answered. My Balance has a MAX capacity of 30lbs (trust me), with a maximum lift of 34 lbs.

Maybe I should be asking a different question. If I'm diving dry, should I think about abandoning the Balance BC for a BP/harness with weightbelt, or should I keep the Balance and move to steel tanks, or should I give up diving because it costs so dam* much money ??? (jk) :'(... What do you think ?

Jeff
03-16-2003, 08:42 PM,
Don't stress it. Regarding weighting, all the advice in the world won't get you more than "close" until you jump in the water and start figuring out what you need. Then, over the course of some dives with your new suit as you become more comfortable you will probably drop a couple lbs.

A BP/wings is a sweet setup. If you go with a steel BP, as opposed to aluminum, you get about 6 lbs just by wearing the BP. Sure I would recommend switching, but do it because of the fact that, IMHO, it is a superior setup, not just for the weight options.

I used to dive the Balance. I know the BC well. It’s a good BC, as far as BCs go. With a drysuit, full insulation, and an aluminum tank, it is going to be close to maxed out. You might be able to squeeze it all in, but how comfortable will it be? I'm not sure. As I mentioned those weight pockets can hold 10, but are much more comfortable (and safer) with 7 or less (if you have the new Balance with the fancy weight retainers the “secure-ness” of the velcro might be less of an issue). The trim pockets can hold 5, but are more comfortable with 4 or less. As soon as the ice clears, head out to Square Lake and start experimenting.

Steel tanks are a really good idea around here. Do you own aluminum tanks? If not, then just rent steels. I believe Northland Divers rents steels, as does GUDC (but avoid 8" diameter steel tanks (95s) - the tank strap on the Balance will not hold onto a tank that wide securely). A steel tank alone should help you drop 3-4 lbs. If you are serious about diving cold water frequently, save up and get yourself a couple steel tanks. With the Balance, the OMS/Faber 85s would be an excellent choice. With a BP/harness, your options are much more open.

I think the Balance would work with a steel tank, but that depends on you and your body type. With an aluminum tank, unless you are a small, very lean person, I'm not quite sure. But maybe. It will work just fine, regardless, if you add additional weight through a weightbelt, but that's kind of an annoyance.

In summary, yes, move to a BP/harness. I think you will be much happier, but you will still have weight distribution issues to deal with. In the mean time, plan for what you know and start experimenting as soon as possible. Heck, even though you might sweat off 10 lbs, join Admin Chris for one of the pool outings and start experimenting there.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-16-2003, 08:46 PM,
This is going to sound a bit odd, but the amount of lift of the BC is not the limiting factor. If, when you are wearing the drysuit, or wetsuit for that matter, and you are correctly weighted, the most that you will be negative is 6#-8#. That will be at the start of the dive. The rest of the lift of the BC will keep your head out of the water. With a drysuit you can always close the exhaust and float a bit higher. Where BC lift will become an issue is if the BC has more than 34# of negative weight while you are not in the BC. An example would be 30# of lead in the pocket. This becomes a big deal when removing the BC in the water to get back into a boat. The 34# would be made up of the -3# from the tank, however much lead and whatever accessories. If you have 30# of lead and accessories that will be at the max that the BC can take and still float. The way around that is to put some of the weight on a weight belt. Going to a steel tank doesn't take care of the max lift of the BC if you are still at 34# negative without you in the BC.

I am not sure if this made sense. Where I am going is that there are two BC lift scenarios: a)you fully geared and appropriately weighted and b)will the BC float by itself when fully inflated.

For what it is worth, I use a 36# bladder on my bp/wings and it has plenty of lift for me in my drysuit. Additionally, it will float itself with a -5# plate, -9# (when full) 95 steel, and whatever accessories. I also have another 12# on a belt.

JoelW