Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Okoboji Blue water glacial pothole
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM,
Lake Okoboji Blue water glacial pothole
I'm curious if anyone has experienced lake okobji in norwestern Iowa. wiki lists it as one of only 3 blue water lakes known(what ever that means). its listed as 40ft visibility during the Early summer. it also has muskies.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM,
Re: Lake Okoboji Blue water glacial pothole
I did a couple dives there several years ago. I recall visibility about 12 to 15 feet. That was in the summer. I do recall seeing lots of fish including musky. There is some artificial structure in the lake (pipeline/water intakes) where fish like to gather to take shelter.
12-28-2009, 08:37 PM,
It's on my "To-Do" list, but I just haven't gotten there yet.  Dive Training Magazine did a spot on the lake a couple years ago and showed it's claim to fame, the 1940's era Ford Ice Truck.  Whether it fell through the ice or was placed there intentionally, I don't know  ???  Wink
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-29-2009, 06:39 AM,
My friend from Iowa has bowfished on Okoboji. It has white amor or grass carp what ever you want to call them, he shot a 65# and his buddy has shot some over 70#. Be cool to spearfish one of them. HANG ON!
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
12-29-2009, 07:21 AM,
Wow!!! you sure that it was grass carp, as i thought that it is too cold up here for them. any chance you could share a picture???also any tips on how or where to see one of these beasts!
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
12-29-2009, 07:52 AM,
Grass carp do well where ever common carp do, and yes 100% grass carp. Next time I talk to him I will get location, I know they shot them at night and he said they were super spooky. He's got pics but I dont.
12-29-2009, 08:24 AM,
Sorry dude I gave you bad info, it was Pleasant lake not Okoboji that he got them at but he thought there were grass carp there to. I guess the Iowa DNR stocked them all over the state in lakes to try to keep the weeds down. Sorry for the bad info. :-[
12-29-2009, 06:38 PM,
an amazing fish approaching 5ft in length would be very cool to see.
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM,
The vis in the early spring is good (20-30')  The muskies come shallow in the early spring also.  I've seen 20 pounders as shallow as 9 feet.  I've had them follow me around through the weed beds to see what I would stir up.  Blue Water Divers has a dive boat on the lake.
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com