Remember me
Lost Password Register

ice-a-paloosa!
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM by arcFlash.)
ice-a-paloosa!
By request we need to work out a date for this. I should be free any weekend in Feb.

Propose Tonka wrecks:
Need sites with confirmed high quality gps numbers.

Date(s):
I assume we want at least 3 sites, we need the guys with ropes and shelters to agree on a common date.

Comments:
The wrecks aren't exactly easy diving for new ice divers or those with minimum threshold skills (aka 20 dives). They present a lot of rope management issues and buddy skills as well as depth. A runaway from 60 feet could be fatal if you hit the ice with your head (case: diver fatally impacted an oil rig pipe on uncontrolled assent). So we ether need to work out how to make this safe, set a skill level or move to a safer site for all skill levels.

Lastly, this is not a sponsored event. We'll accept tips to defray the cost of propane but it's free to dive.

If you're a lawyer and you want to provide pro bono advice that will help us organizers, I'll take it via PM.

Changes? Idea?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM,
Re: ice-a-paloosa!
Please make it after GUDC's ice class Smile
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM,
Wouldn't you know, I am scheduled to teach two Open Water Classes in February, plus my usual weekend drill. But like everything else, they are subject to change.

I will of course keep in touch with ya.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM,
OKAY Dave....I just gotta ask....Send me a PM on how ya teach an OW in February in Minnesota.  :o
01-11-2010, 07:51 AM,

I'm in for the 6th and the 27th the other two I'm headed to the Carib. Hang on,,,, ice-a -paloosa, vs the Carib :-\..... naw the Carib still gets it!    TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM,
After picking up some lessons from yesterday I'm not sure this is the party we expected. I only made it to A-tent once for a few minutes and it was a 30 second jog. I know the wrecks on Tonka are close and fun but if we want any socializing we ether need one 'big' hole/tent and every one just hangs out and dive groups of 3 (to speed up things) or we need to go back to Mille Lacs and set up on a reef to keep everyone withing walking distance.

Tonka is a drive from site to site so it's no party.

I'm inclined to just let things happen and if we get a huge group and it has the right feel we'll know it was the paloosa and you were there.
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM,
Hey everyone. I would like to join you for this event. I don't have much to offer as far as equipment, but am willing to help cover the costs and help set up and take down. I guess I'll just keep posted to the web page for more updates.

Pat
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM,
The "paloosa" is in trouble. It's not getting much attention.  We'll have other ice dives posted so be sure to come out to one of them.

01-13-2010, 08:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM by mcdiver.)
Hey Guys,

I posted a couple videos on Youtube from this past weekend. The first one is me, the second one is of Doug.

Art, my Open Water Classes in February consist of the Confined Water Dives and Knowledge Reviews.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM,
Don't forget to make time to stop in at the Dive Into the Past Show Feb 27th.

Tim