Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice diving on Sat 1-9-10
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM,
Re: Ice diving on Sat 1-9-10
Carl and Pete are busy Sat. Would the rest of you want to move the dive to Sunday so they may join us or does that cause a conflict with those already committed?

I know John likes Sat and I prefer it as well but I also like everyone to have an opportunity to dive.

Terry. I'll just bring the shack, Ice Screws, and biners to save space. Do you have a spud or should I bring one? We'll need one for sure.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-06-2010, 09:47 AM,

Steve and guys, Sat. or Sun would work for me, either way. I've got lots of spud, but bring with anything you want Steve, theres plenty of room.    TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM,
Okay guys, here's another guppy question...what's a "spud"  ???
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM by arcFlash.)
Google not working for you?  :Smile

It's an ice chipper. I don't know why they call them Spud Bars. Think of a pipe with a large chisel point

John, look what I found in Wiki. This dates your find!
Spud Bar: Early ice spuds (before about 1925) often had wooden handles and a steel head fixed with a tang and collar or socket, like a carpenters chisel.

01-06-2010, 04:18 PM,
Very cool! I am going to mount the spud on the wall of my new dive locker like a taxidermy mount. Kind of nostalgic when I put the two oars from the old wood boat I found in Pike Lake on the other wall. Antiques don't mean much to me if they don't have history. I can imagine my grand kids years from now asking me where that stuff came from... Smile.

As to this weekends dive, I need to talk to the missus about it if Sunday is ok. As of right now the only day I technically cleared with the boss is Saturday. I will let you know.
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM,
Just for your own amusement  :-\

The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM,

I had looked it up on bing, but all that came up there was Spud as a nickname.  Must have used the wrong search parameters.  I guess I'll use Wiki from now on  ;D
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM,
We'll be going out again so if we need to keep us 5 on Sat... Carl and I can always put something together and post it. The winter just arrived so we have time.

01-06-2010, 04:46 PM,

Thanks Kristi!!  I appreciate it.  ;D  (here's how much of a guppy I am)  Didn't even know "spud" (was short/slang for anything.  Well, except for potatoes) Tongue 
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM,

Hey Steve, Remember the two old guys at Green Lake? Well the one who works for the newspaper (Bill) called me today to hear about what we found. I told him and he was happy to hear about the stuff. I doubt that it will be in any newspaper articles any time soon though...