Remember me
Lost Password Register

iceland
01-04-2010, 10:23 PM,
iceland
so ive been fascinated on diving in iceland for awhile, i also noticed there's no posts about it here, anyone ever dive there? i might be going there around easter with my brother who is certified, but hasnt dove in years, (so he wont be diving). plus im kind of a n00b when it comes to diving outside of minnesota/wisconsin, so i dont know much about what to pack if i do plan on diving. any info on what to pack? just rent most of the gear?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-05-2010, 06:55 AM,
Re: iceland
I have never been, but from time to time see things on the tube. Looks like a cool place to check out. I also have seen some very good packages, air/hotel.
The way airlines are moving, packing your speedo and toothbrush puts you at your weight limit. With that in mind I believe I would rent most equipment. Especially if only doing a dive or two.

Al
01-05-2010, 08:49 AM,
Re: iceland

I always bring my dive gear. Street clothes are usually optional. I prepacked my dive bag and get a rough weight on it before I get to the airport. Pack your first stage and reg set in your carry-on. If you carry a laptop container, you can also store things in there besides your laptop. Always leave a little extra room in your carry-on so if you're a pound or 2 overweight you can re-pack  At the check-in line. Most of the time when I travel the sole purpose is diving, I M. a little anal about diving my gear, my system ,my set up. (82 toothpicks, definitely 82 toothpicks). Another thing you can do is check on shipping your gear  there a head of time. I have found it's usually cheaper to pay the airline for the extra bag. It costs less for me to bring a cooler loaded with grouper fillets and lobster tails weighing 50 pounds on the plane, then it would be to try to ship it. Make sure your dive knife and  .223 ammo for power heads, and 40 caliber Smith & Wesson ammo for your handgun, are checked with your luggage and not in your carry-on! I was glad I was early that day ;D ;D