Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for help from my Minnesota peeps ;)
01-09-2010, 06:54 PM,
Looking for help from my Minnesota peeps ;)
It's been a really long time since I've visited the site, too long! 

I'm writing because this is the most obvious spot for me to check into, to solicit suggestions, advice, insight, etc. 

Let me take you back a few years... It was around 2006 that I started making an odd connection, something along the lines of, "If I love diving, and want to make money doing it (I was working PT at the MOA aquarium, a job I LOVED, but wasn't making much money), then the obvious solution is to become a commercial diver!"  If anyone's walked down this path, you know what an erroneous assumption it is! 

I'll make a long story short (because it's been a loooooooooong 3.5 years!).  I moved to Santa Barbara, CA to attend the Marine Diving Technology program at the City College there (), finished my Commercial diving certs, moved to Louisiana, decided to become an ROV tech/pilot instead, and have been working offshore for the past 2 years.

I really, really love my job.  I get to tinker and troubleshoot and rebuild and pilot an ROV bigger than my car, at 1000s of feet below sea level.   But, and I know you guys can understand this, maybe better than most of the population of the US can, because we are so damn rooted in Minnesota, and love the place so much... I just want to come home.  But I have no idea what to do!  I don't want to come home and work a job that doesn't challenge me, and to hell with the abysmal state of the job market.  Where there's a will, there's a way! 

So I'm asking you, my fellow Minnesotans and lovers of all things subsea...  Anything you can offer, any little nugget of insight (because you never know when you'll spark a fire!) you have to give...

Here's a little more info (I'll happily forward my resume, upon request!):
Harding HS grad (East Side! St. Paul)
College of St. Benedict grad (French Studies)
Studied abroad in France
Taught English in China
2000 Campaign work (DFL)
Divemastered in Thailand (Ao Nang, Krabi) & Indonesia (Pulau Wei, off Sumatra)
A few office jobs (The Bakken Museum, Messerli & Kramer PA)
Divemastered in California (Spectre Dive Boat, Ventura, CA)
Hull cleaning diver (fun, but yucky)
ROV pilot/technician for big GOM company (work-class ROV)

All replies (and votes of confidence) are greatly and warmly appreciated!  Here's to being around for some good MN diving this spring Wink 

Thanks for reading, Angela
a break shows in the clouds, and all is changed.<br />-e.b. white
01-09-2010, 07:06 PM,
Re: Looking for help from my Minnesota peeps ;)
Teaching?  I think that would be rewarding. 

Good luck!
01-09-2010, 07:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM by mermaid.)
From what I've seen the VAST MAJORITY of jobs (legit and otherwise) are posted on the internet.  From Target to Government positions.  One career/job site that comes to mind right away is Career Builder.  Government offices have their own websites.  Do you have an idea if you want to do public or private sector?   
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM,
It probably depends on your industry.  In mine its quite the opposite.  The people who I know of and are finding jobs are doing so because they are basically hitting the pavement and seeking out every non-traditional way of getting hired they can.  Any job posted on the net is drawing hundreds of applications so your chances are slim or employers are just not listing them.
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM,
Roger that, hence the posting!  Internet sites are a good start, but I'm definitely more of a *networking type.  Plus, it's always more fun to make a personal connection with someone, regardless of what it leads to!
01-09-2010, 09:19 PM,
I'm sure any job posting, no matter where it's posted, is drawing hundreds of applications, but whatever industry you're in, I wish you the best of luck! 
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM,
Thanks Mermaid!  Will be in touch for a girls diving excursion when I'm once again settled in the TCs! Wink
01-09-2010, 09:57 PM,
Lunda Corp. of Black River Falls, WI (as in Lake Wazee) is one of the big, local bridge builders.  I'm guessing, now and then they may need divers to check footings of  bridges. 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM,
[quote author=ang. link=topic=5917.msg33268#msg33268 date=1263094687]
Thanks Mermaid!  Will be in touch for a girls diving excursion when I'm once again settled in the TCs! Wink  /quote]

I look forward to it ang.!  Wink
01-10-2010, 07:48 PM,
Thanks Diver Queen, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm curious about...  the connections that aren't super obvious from the outside.