Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bubbles Rising in Water
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM,
Bubbles Rising in Water
This is the science behind why you can follow the smallest bubble to the surface and not violate your accent rate limits (mostly)

Math warning. (there is a chart for the rest of you)

Not interested the short answer is a tiny bubble (0.15 cm) in water rises about 18 cm/s so it's about 35 ft/min and bubbles up to 1 cm raise about 50ft/s so you need the smallest you can find.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM,
Re: Bubbles Rising in Water
Hi Steve,
This is very a very interesting article.  However, as my life story can attest, BLOOD IS THICKER THEN WATER,  LOL..  and if this is true in physics and hemotology, can we use the same information across the board in any liquid?  just food for thought, I bet John J. or Bob have a good answer for this.

I would not like to necessary rely on my ability to follow that smallest bubble up, plus what if the bubble stopped, would I stay down.  Just kiddin on that one.

Thanks, Steve, I love all this stuff. 
Nicki
LOVE SCUBA DIVERS THAT GO DEEP.   I personally can't go beyond 150, but maybe someday.
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM,
that looks interesting, ill read through all of it later... reminds me of an old physical chem lab i had where we measured the change in a argon's viscosity in relation to temperature

too bad they didnt run it at 4C and at like 90C as well as 20C, im not sure if the viscosity of water would change that much, but it would still be interesting since water is relatively weird when compared to other liquids.... also makes me want to go diving in neptune's theoretical liquid diamond oceans
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM,
I've used this technique and it works great. I came up from around 100 feet many times while just watching a tiny bubble and the computer profile was spot on. I call it "shiny" because I pick the smallest and reflecting the most light. My computer is a spaz and it doesn't have the fidelity I want or at least I don't feel like it does when I have to go up a long way without visual ques. I make a new shiny if I lose the first by swiping my hand though exhaust thus pulling a cavitation trail into eyesight.

It's easy in blue water and gets more difficult as vis declines.

Next, Cyclotomic polynomials where the product is over all nth primitive roots of unity.

Just kidding, That's off topic. Smile
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM,

I think they have a pill for that.  ;D