Remember me
Lost Password Register

Any one been diving in Costa Maya Mexico?
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM,
Any one been diving in Costa Maya Mexico?
I am going on a cruise in  late March And have an opportunity to dive in Costa Maya and or Roatan and would like to know if any body knows what the diving is like there? I will probably use the cruise line dive operator for convenience.

Thanks for any Info.
01-23-2010, 06:01 PM,
Re: Any one been diving in Costa Maya Mexico?
I'll let you know how Roatan is after Feb 20th.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
01-24-2010, 03:56 PM,
After lurking here for a year, this post spurred a response. I have not been to Roatan and suspect it will be a bit more impressive but Costa Maya is worth a look. You most likely will be in Mahahual (Majahual) for a day and probably will dive with Dreamtime (they have cruise contracts). We spent 2-7 Jan there so have some recent experience. Diving Mahahual is similar to Akumal but with a bit better vis (70 to 100' when we were there), perhaps a few more fish, and coral in a bit better shape. Most are slow drift dives (mild current) though we did one moored dive (Dos Ojos, reminiscent of Molasses, Key Largo). Coral is generally spur and groove. Some photos on facebook

Dreamtime is good shop with good gear - conservative and safety oriented (45 min dives, max of 80').

Dives sites are 5 to 15 min away. A few are listed at:

Because you are on a cruise you probably cannot make the must do dives - Chinchorro (never, made it there, too windy the 5 days we were there and it is a 20mi boat ride) and Xcalak. I will do a separate post on Xcalak. Two of my best dives ever and well worth the trip south an hour of Mahahual.
People protect what they love. Jacques Cousteau.
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM by aknelsonone.)
I did for several years diving along the coast around Akumal , Tulum therefore south of Cancun.
The water along the Riviera Maya cost was always choppy and sandy (winter) therefore the viz is marginal.
I found the sink holes (cenotes) a better choice.
Cozumel is much better compared with the Riviera Maya (since current flows in between)
Roatan is still my preferred destination. Roatan has better viz and has lots of small stuff to look at.
I would not dive with the cruise folks since they have a habit of charging for everything extra and I avoid businesses with "horse dealer (nickel and dime) attitude" as much as possible

To underline this the Tribune had a nice article about cruise two weeks ago.....

A very good article indeed .. ask lots of questions and get the info upfront....

Andreas
Andreas
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM,
geez, It's not like me to give out secret information..... but... and don't tell my wife I told you about this place.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM,

Pssst, ...  ;D
02-13-2010, 12:16 PM,
I will create a separate thread on Xcalak and driving to Costa Maya as I think it deserves it. Getting to Costa Maya on a cruise ship presents a different set of limitations compared to driving and staying there. It is a 4hr+ drive from Cancun (3+ hrs from Playa del Carmen).
People protect what they love. Jacques Cousteau.
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM,
Diving in Roatan is great! Lots of soft coral and colorful sponges and lots of fish,wrecks,walls,drift diving,deep tech diving, and lots of interesting bars. Hope that helps. Smile
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.