Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Dry
01-24-2010, 03:30 PM,
Diving Dry
With all the discussion of dry suits, dry hood, dry gloves and full face (dry) masks, and the thousands they cost, that it seems some divers just don't want to get wet.

I guess it just strikes me as a bit ironic. Wink
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM,
Re: Diving Dry

I think its more of a warmth/comfort issue. Not having an aversion to being wet. But that's just my opinion.  ;D

Al
01-24-2010, 04:19 PM,
We especially don't like being wet in our drysuits! :o
01-24-2010, 05:01 PM,
I really like the freedom of a wetsuit but in MN it's just not practical.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-24-2010, 06:21 PM,

From what I understand, there are 4 situations that can cause a drysuit to be wet inside (there could be others I haven't learned yet).

1.  A hole somewhere in the suit
2.  A wetsuit dripping into a drysuit
3.  Not being able to "hold it" until you get to the surface.
4.  The water around the neck from an attached drysuit hood running into the drysuit.

If I missed anything or if anyone has any comments feel free to add to the list. Smile 
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM,
Quote:I think its more of a warmth/comfort issue. Not having an aversion to being wet. But that's just my opinion. 

My opinion too.  I dive dry when extended wet exposure is uncomfortable or dangerous.  Dry gloves would just be counterproductive though.  When it gets that cold, I just find someplace more hospitable to dive.

From what I understand, there are 4 situations that can cause a drysuit to be wet inside (there could be others I haven't learned yet).

4.  The water around the neck from an attached drysuit hood running into the drysuit.

If I missed anything or if anyone has any comments feel free to add to the list. Smile 
[/quote]

Most common for me is not getting the zipper seated properly.  This usually occurs after preventing your problem number three. Wink

Neck seals will leak if the collar of the underwear rides too high.  Also, if you "roll" the seal and don't get it flat.

Same with the wrist seals.  Plus, my wrist seals leak just because I work my tendons so much.

Once in a while I loosen my dump valve too much and get a little wet that way.

I agree with ArcFlash, I'd rather dive wet, but sometimes it's just not practical.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
01-24-2010, 07:03 PM,

[/quote]

I get a bit wet at both wrists just about every dive. I think its because of the "tunnel" between the two tendons on the palm side of my wrists when I grab things underwater. I try to pull the wrist seals up toward the forearm to minimize this but it hasn't helped much. Another way to get wet inside a dry suit is from sweat. I use Weezlewear Extreme undergarments and they draw the sweat away from the body and the outside of the Weezlewear is almost always wet after a dive. I use wet gloves and wet hood with my dry suit all the way down to -20 degrees (then I don't dive if its colder that). I have had my wet hood freeze while tending so that it won't come unless I dump hot water over it.
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM,
Did we miss "Condensation, body heat and sweat condensing on the cold inside surface of the suit!"
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-24-2010, 08:32 PM,
Since I had a small leak fixed, and learned to keep my zipper shut, and learned to make sure my dry gloves were sealed, and replaced my neck seal, all I have left in my suit is condensation and sweat.  I like it much better this way.
Dave
01-24-2010, 08:37 PM,
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have also had my dump valve leak when it got some fleece bunny's caught in it. :Smile  I guess I am just a leaker. :o