Remember me
Lost Password Register

Black Gloves
01-27-2010, 12:25 PM,
Black Gloves
I picked up some of the black gloves (like Viking gloves) from Kurt.  The size 9 are a real tight fit over the rings on Kristi's suit.  How far to do pull them over the ring?  Just enough to get over both ridges in the ring?  I can't see how you would pull them further than that and they are pretty long so you have to deal with that extra air space.  Do you have to try and vent out the air after putting them on?

Also, my suit has the rings that pinch the seal and are not sewn on.  I've got the size 10 gloves which I haven't tried to put on them yet but I hear they are easier because they are bigger.  I'm worried about accidentally tearing the seal with a finger nail or pulling the ring right off with the glove.  Any tips there?
01-27-2010, 03:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM by arcFlash.)
Re: Black Gloves
First Q: yes, both rings are required (so I've been told and I don't want to test it). I pull it over both ridges on the ring. I do not vent, the remaining air squeezes down but it's still easy to work to at least 90 feet. At 150, you know it's not vented but then I have not had any problems working my gear and any snaps I need to play with. I would say using a 3 inch piece of 1/8 surgical tube helps on ice dives but I've only vented the gloves a few times and I don't really need it so I don't bother. The extra glove gets pressed back into the ring/wrist seal and I never notice it.

When you pull on the glove don't "stretch" it over the ring. I roll my glove and then turn it over the ring. That is if you just grab the glove and pull it's going to rip. This is a visual tip so next time your out, ask around.

Second Q:I don't know that I understand the second question about the ring... but if they are the viking rings and you just press fit them into the suit (and they 'snapped' in) without glue you are fine. I didn't glue mine and when I remove the glove I only pull on the glove so it doesn't effect the ring. The gloves come off easy. You learn to put them on yourself but it take some time to learn the skill. I use #10 and have no problems.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-27-2010, 03:50 PM,
They didn't really "snap".  The inner ring is a hard plastic and the outer ring more like a rubber.  I pushed them together what seems like all the way.  Why concern was that the glove would stick the ring more than the two parts of the ring stick to teh seal and the whole works would come off instead of just the glove.

I'll try the rolling on/off trick.
01-27-2010, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2010, 04:23 PM by john j.)
FYI:  If you are looking for the rubber stretch-over gloves that are used with the viking style rings, see the link below.  I have used these for a couple years now and I am very happy with them.  They are available in various sizes. The cost is only $45.00 for 12 pairs of gloves.  A single pair of the official "diving" gloves is probably $50 or more.

__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
01-27-2010, 04:39 PM,
I'm 95% sure that's what I have.  Kurt bought a couple boxes and I bought them off him for like $5 a pair.
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM,
If you use the correct size inside ring they fit tight and it's not a problem. You should have more then one size of inner ring, use the one that just fits but with some persuasion.  A buddy just had what you describe but it surprised both of us and together we've used them 100's of times. He thinks he pulled it apart a long time ago and it finally work out.  I'm not sure I could even get mine apart. After a few 100 dives they are still the same as the day I got them.

If you inspect it, there will be a detente on the inside of the outer ring that traps the inside ring.

01-27-2010, 10:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM by mattd.)
Mine only came with one ring.  They look like this:

The outer part is soft and I just covered it in talc to get it to slide into place.  They didn't really click or snap or anything like that.  I don't see how they would.

The rings were shipped together with the insert having the lip acting like a stop at the back of the cuff.  Does this need to be turned around so the lip is forward toward the glove?
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM,

This is exactly what I use.  There is an inner ridge on the outer rubber ring that can lock into larger grove on the end of the inner hard plastic ring, but I dont bother with that.  I just put the inner ring inside my wrist seal and slide the outer ring over it and the set up stays together with a friction fit just fine.  Ive never had them pull apart. 

Like others said, just tuck your glove liner into the wrist seal to avoid a squeeze from depth and allow venting.  And to roll the gloves on and off, to avoid tearing them. 

-Al
&quot;in order to have a good idea, you must first have lots of ideas&quot;&nbsp; -Linus Pauling
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM by arcFlash.)
At this point I'm not sure you installed it correctly. I think you have it backwards. Maybe it's time to stop by a dive shop that sells these for a bit of wisdom.

The fat round end of the larger (outer) ring is the front (glove side). Sorry about the extra rings, I swear I have a bag in my gear room of extra inner rings but they could be from the wifes.