Remember me
Lost Password Register

size of color adjusted video file
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM,
size of color adjusted video file
I've been working on the videos I took in Thailand.  I'm using Virtual Dub with some plug in filters.. an auto adjust and a levels adjustment filter.  What I'm finding is that a file that is originally 37 megs grows to 559 megs.  I'm starting with AVI file and in virtualdub I'm saving as AVI file.

The adjusted files look great but is the large file size with color adjustments typical or is it unique to virtual dub?

Fred 
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-10-2010, 07:29 AM,
Re: size of color adjusted video file
I have had that same problem. finaly had to have a pal that is in the buisness of video software developement point me in the right direction.
as crazy as it sounds, one of my cameras has some goofy older video format codec that was nearly impossible to convert. finaly did though.

I will check into.
no matter what, maintain and store a file copy of all original unedited files. also dont trust flash memory sticks. if you are going to do editing and resaving it is possible to burn them out, as i found out with a stick that was only 8 months old.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
04-01-2010, 06:57 PM,
Re: size of color adjusted video file
found alittle more info if your curious as to understanding the why.

all digital video cameras will compress the video file to save it. lossless near full size dig video would be about 3mb/sec or larger(this is for the regular standard def video) a two gig flash disk would only hold like 15min or so of full uncompressed video.

what happens when you import the video is the codex you are using uncompresses the video from original saved format, and then re-compresses into a different compression format that you select to use.

in my case, my one camera records in a nonstandard format that was very difficult to get a good codex to work. then even with a screaming computer we had to set up the file and let it decompress/re-compress/covert for several hours before we even could look at the file to chop it up..
(video was an hour or so worth, no sound, BW,ASF)

also would mention for those thinking about getting into the underwater video hobby.(not that I'm an expert). but with the suffering/experimentation Ive done with hobby, it seems that the macs do this well and have softwere built in.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;