Remember me
Lost Password Register

Recovery Ice dive
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM,
Recovery Ice dive
Hi folks, anybody up for a recovery dive? My friend Josh, who works the lake at Mac's Twin Bay on Milacs has a fiance that dropped her engagement ring through a hole.
Josh lives in a fish house on the lake while working at the resort. He is an extremely nice young man and deserves a break. He knows I dive and asked me if I would attempt to retrieve it. My reply was I am not set up for it and have not dove in a while but I would ask here. I also tol;d him I would do it as soon as the ice is out. But as you know, vis is best right now. He asked me how much he would be charged. That is up to you guys if you decide to do it. He does not have insurance. I would help with the subsidation. my house is only about 150 yards from it now. however I was going to pull it this weekend. because of the GLSPS deal next weekend.
The house is still in place. he is in 12-14 feet of water and it is a hard bottom with small rocks. If you need more info or want to talk about it more
PM me and I will send you a cell number. Or if you know me you may have it. Trinity has it also.
Thanks in advance.
CJ

02-16-2010, 11:13 PM,
Re: Recovery Ice dive
I would be willing to help on Sunday if that's not too late.  His house is on top of where the ring fell?
02-17-2010, 08:25 AM,
Sooner is better, but I can't help this weekend.  If it gets pushed out, I'm happy to do what I can.

Have you tried one of those drop in cameras to see if you can see it?  I think I'd drop a weighted line from the hole where it was lost and then put the diver in 20-30 feet away so as not to accidentally stir up the area.

Good luck. 
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM,
I second dropping a weighted line.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Here is a link to Shooters video he took at 4 miles out from Mac's Twin Bay Resort last year on 1-24-09. It was a ring recovery also in 20 degrees below and a stiff wind. snow pressure at that time forced us to cut the hole about 60' away from the target to prevent icing in this guys house. The wolf skull in the video was used as the "weighted line". The wolf skull is not one of your more common pieces of dive gear but it does add some humor:
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM,
That's unbelievable that it was just sitting there on a rock a foot from the marker. 

02-17-2010, 11:31 AM,
Yup, just a tungsten ring sitting on that pedistal waiting for its return to the surface. Still it was an 8 hour day for 3 people in nasty weather. Did you turn up the volume and hear him talking in his regulator? That is the best part when he says "MY Precious" underwater.
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM by Shooter.)
Yup, just a tungsten ring sitting on that pedistal waiting for its return to the surface. Still it was an 8 hour day for 3 people in nasty weather. Did you turn up the volume and hear him talking in his regulator? That is the best part when he says "MY Precious" underwater.
[/quote]

We lucked out on that one! You have to be a lord of the rings fan to appreciate the humor in that. I was using a back-up reg on that dive that wasn't set up for ice diving. I was biting down own it to keep it from freeflowing! It was giving me way too much air. Thats why it sounds strange on the clip...
Good times  ;D  8)
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM,
Yes a camera has been tried and it did fall down the hole. I do not have any ice diveing gear. Chain saw could be found but no harnesses. The house hasnt moved but it can be. Just let me know Saturday or sunday works for me. Sat would be better, just because its better to have Filet Mignon, Baked poataoes, saute'd mushrooms and some Merlot on Sat night. I can sleep up to 3 more people besides my wife and I. Maybe other sleeping arrangements can be found also.
Keep talking it up.
This weekend is the best weekend as they will be very busy pulling houses the next weekend.
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM,
Thanks to everybody that replied. The owner has decided to not pursue it this winter. He is going to mark it well, both with GPS (2) and an underwater marker as well. He is not 100% sure it went in anyway. So I will try when we have soft water.
Thanks againg (darnit, I was looking forward to steak dinner and comradeship.
CJ
See you at the show.