Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lesson learned! Bought a 30 pony bottle.
03-08-2010, 09:31 AM,
Lesson learned! Bought a 30 pony bottle.
I was stuck in between a 19 and a 30 pony bottle.  I was asking a guy from our club and before I knew it he wanted to sell one.  That is the lesson I learned ask information about stuff and out of the blue someone may want to sell.
I set a 19 and a 30 next to each other.  To me it was not much of a difference.  So I decided on a 30.  It was new in 05 and is going to going for hydro soon.  Known the guy for a while, so I knew it was a good choice.  Dont think there will be a problem with hydro, but well see. 
Than I was thinking what regulator do I want.  I call a guy who I buy stuff from and he said, to me I would buy the same regulator you have now.  Wow never thought of that.  Makes sense that its the same as what I have, does good in cold water and in warm.  Uses the same exact parts and if your used to the first one this one should be no problem.
So I am looking forward to doing much shipwreck diving this year and having a life saving tool like this bottle to have.  Talked to a few divers also that have had their regulators free flow around 100 feet.  The company who they sent it into did not adjust it right.  So its not a chance I want to take.
Also I have noticed a rubber like necklass type regulator holder you can put around your neck and what ever regulator you choose Will be in easy reach of you.  So if you are gearing up you can put your main so you know where it is before you go in.  Than of course your second so you dont have to reach around to find it when you need it.  Than of course your pony regulator.
03-08-2010, 10:01 AM,
Re: Lesson learned! Bought a 30 pony bottle.
Hmmm, I've been doing some talking about a pony and no one offered to sell me one.  I did get to borrow one though.  Its definitely on my list to buy.

For the necklace, you can do that super cheap.  Just take a length of shock cord, tie knots in it, and then put it in the zip tie that holds the mouthpiece on the reg.  That's what I did with my backup reg when I recently switched to a long hose.  Its worked for me so far.
03-09-2010, 05:01 PM,
Adam- 

A couple things on free flows...
1)  if you dive in cold water, it will happen sooner or later.
2)  some regs to better than others in cold water. (piston / diaphram, materials, etc)
3)  Free flow means the reg is working properly. When they don't...thats a problem.
4) You learned in OW to breathe off a free flowing reg.  Same applies to the lake / ocean.
5)  Do not switch to a pony if you free flow your primary. What happens when your pony free flows and your primary is now empty? 
6) May not be the service techs that "didn't adjust them right".  Maybe the person is over breathing the reg.

03-09-2010, 05:12 PM,
#5) I'd shut it down and breath the pony. It keeps the tank from getting water in it as well. It's likely to warm up in a few minutes and start working later thus saving the air. You should be able to shut down a tank in 10 seconds.

Breathing from a freeflow for any time will also freeze your lips and that sucks as well.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM,

Or you could just save time, money, etc... And just stop in any dive center & pick one up!  ;D Innovative Scuba Concepts or Manta Industies make some great inexpensive octo necklaces!

"BARK BARK!" -Dudley Do Right-
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM,
I shut them down also but, not recommending that to a "newer" diver (no offense, Adam).
03-12-2010, 10:46 PM,
I think one dives with a pony bottle for a different reason than "my primary is free flowing", though.  Having a redundant air source in the event of a major, unanticipated problem (and let's face it, a free flow in Minnesota water shouldn't necessarily be unanticipated) is absolutely necessary IF you are diving regularly and fairly (100 feet) deep.  That redundant air source is a great back up if something completely surprising occurs.  I've had lots of free flows and I've never bled a tank.  Yeah, they're frustrating.  Yeah, the air is cold.  Yeah, I know what to do.  I've also never breathed off my pony during one of those free flows.  Relax and slowly ascend.  The free flow usually clears.  (Of course, once it clears, you go back down to join your buddies only to have it happen again.  The definition of Minnesota Diving Insanity.)  What those unanticipated problems could be, I don't know.  I do know, though, that when I have the pony with me, I have an extra measure of security and I feel safer.  And that's a good thing.

I actually use a clip and clip my pony regulator to my BCD rather than wearing it around my neck.  It's accessible and easy to pull out of the clip (I do test that ability, even if I don't breathe off it).  Bottom line on how you secure the regulator is whatever feels most comfortable to you.  Try different methods and pick the one that works.  Hope that helps.
03-13-2010, 07:58 AM,
I think he was saying the necklaces is for the 'octo' and he's on a long hose. The pony reg should stay with the pony so you can remove it if you want to hand it off or otherwise.

I breath my pony on occasion to make sure I'm familiar with it and that the reg gets some action and stays in working order. It's common in MN to get too low and get silt in the pony reg so mind the muck.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-13-2010, 09:11 PM,
How many of you had free flowing reg's?
A bit unknown to me....

Andreas
Andreas
03-13-2010, 09:25 PM,
Thanks, arc...  You're right...  I do breathe off it to make sure it's working, but I've never used it because I have to.  Good distinction.  My pony reg is clipped on to my BCD under my left arm.  There is a necklace option that I tried (like an octo), but I preferred the clip.

I've had free flows on a few occassions.  If I were to look at my log book, it probably amounts to about 5% of the dives I do.  In each case, I knew they were coming.  Didn't panic, dealth with it just like I was trained.  The only "emotion" I felt was frustration.