Remember me
Lost Password Register

Underwater Tools & Techniques Class '09
03-13-2010, 01:48 PM,
Underwater Tools & Techniques Class '09
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM,
Re: Underwater Tools & Techniques Class '09
(excerpts from glsps website report) 

The GLSPS offered another Underwater Construction training class for our members and ten students signed up for the class. These students were eager to learn how the GLSPS performs underwater construction and stabilization on historical shipwrecks without taking away the authenticity and the historical value of the shipwreck. These are very valuable skills to learn.  This class is tailored to accommodate the needs of the GLSPS to assist in the Preservation of our historical resources in the Great Lakes Region and mainly along the North Shore of Lake Superior and Isle Royale National Park.
  Special tools and techniques are taught using air tools, hand tools, special measuring equipment, and moving heavy pieces of a ship using lift bag operation and procedures. The most emphasized aspect of the class is safety. We wouldn’t be able to perform any of the underwater construction required to perform the preservation on these shipwrecks without the safety aspect.

If you are interested in signing up for this great class, please feel free to give us a call or send an email anytime. Check the Website for more information on the class.

05-22-2010, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM by PJK.)
Re: Underwater Tools & Techniques Class 2010
Here is this years Announcement for the UWPTT Class the GLSPS Offers every year.  It is a one of a kind class that no one else offers.  However, it is proprietary and is only sponsored by the GLSPS and was developed for it's members. 

The class was totally redesigned by a Commercial Diver / Instructor and the Safety and Training Committee of the GLSPS, three years ago.  So, if interested please contact us about signing up for the class.  This class is VERY popular and fills up quick.  If you are a GLSPS Member with an Advanced Diver Certification and would like to be able to join us on a future stabilization / preservation project, please sign up now to take this very valuable class.  Please don't miss this opportunity.     

Here's the Announcement.

Greetings Interested UWPTT Class Participants,

I'm sending an email to everyone that has either signed up or are interested in taking the GLSPS Underwater Preservation – Tools and Techniques Class. The class is Saturday and Sunday, June 12 & 13, 2010.  The classroom session will be held at the Lake County Court House - Law Enforcement Center in Two Harbors MN in the morning from 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon and the Open water will be Saturday afternoon, 1:30 PM to whenever we finish all students.  The underwater session of the class will take place at the Shipwreck, S.P. Ely, in Agate Bay near the break wall, out in the harbor.  As people sign up, additional information will be sent via email.

I WOULD NEED TO KNOW IF ANY OF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN THE CLASS.  PLEASE RSVP ME VIA EMAIL, ASAP.
CONTACT INFORMATION IS BELOW.

Information about the class includes:

1- Pre-requisite for the class is that you have an “Advanced Open Water” Certification and at least 60 total Logged Dives.  (Not all have to be Advanced dives).

2- This is not a free class on account of the expenses of a Commercial Diver / Instructor.  The cost of the class will be $170.00. You can pay by check or cash.  If you are writing a check, please write check payable to: GLSPS / UWPTT and send it to: 7590 W Commerce St Corcoran, MN. 55340. 

3- Cliff Schmidt will be the Instructor.  Cliff is a Commercial Diver and Instructor.  He has performed many underwater commercial jobs that we could only dream about.

4- Phil Kerber will be the Lead Safety Officer / Supervisor, with Steve Steichen, the new Safety Officer in Training.  Todd Olson, the Dive Master.  Bob Nelson, Captain of the R/V Preservation, Paul Imsland, crew and equipment Operator.  Kelly Murphy Video and still photography. 

5- Classroom will be at held in the morning from 8:00 AM until noon at the Two Harbors Law Enforcement Center attached to the side of the Lake County Court House.  The address is 601 3rd Av Two Harbors MN.  The class room curriculum will consist of instructions on tool handling underwater and delicate preservation procedures.  It will also include many safety procedures developed by the GLSPS Safety Committee from a Safety and Procedures Manual.  The class also has an A to Z section on how the GLSPS performs underwater stabilization on shipwrecks and the standard operating procedures (SOP) involved in each project. 

6- The underwater section of the class will be from 1:30 PM to 6:00 PM, depending on the class size and how fast we move through it.  We will meeting at the boat launch in Two Harbors at 1:00 PM.  After loading equipment Gear and people we will cruise over to the break wall to unload gear and setup equipment.  (This is all part of the class, you must participate in setting up the equipment).  We will then practice skills and other tasks to be proficient at using underwater tools and preservation techniques.  After you have practiced and completed all the different skills, you may be able to dive the S.P. Ely, which is right next to where we are doing the class. 

7- A C-Card of completion will be granted to those who attend the classroom, perform the assigned underwater skills, and that have paid.  No written exam will be required. 

8- Lodging and camping will be at the City of Two Harbors Burlington Bay Campground.  The campground is located at, 522 First Av, Two Harbors MN 55616 (Highway 61 and Park Road).  (North of the Town on HWY 61 and on the right when leaving Two Harbors).  Their phone number is 218-834-2021.  I reserved a large camping site (same as last year) for my Popup Camper and room for a few tents and parking vehicles around the camper.  The reserved site number is #10 again this year.

9- Lunch and lemonade drink will be provided for Saturday only.  Bring provisions for a quick breakfast Saturday morning.  Saturday evening you can either cook your own food at the campground or go into town to have dinner.  There is a great pizza place in town that I personally recommend.

Phil Kerber will be traveling up north to Two Harbors Friday late morning and setting up the Camper at the site.  If anyone needs a ride up in my Suburban please let me know.  Everyone coming up that's sleeping in the camper, come on in.  After that, the rest of the students will start filling in around the Camper with tents.  So if you prefer to sleep in a tent, please bring your tent. 

My Camper can sleep seven if you like to be cozy.  However, sharing a bed with someone else sometimes doesn't work very well so, we can only sleep four in the camper if that's the case.  The availability for the camper will be on a first come first serve basis.  Otherwise, the rest of you will need to bring your tents to sleep in or, reserve a room at a nearby Motel.

Items you need to bring:

1-Tent, if using one.  An air mattress or pad is recommended when using a tent.
2-Sleeping bag and pillow.
3-Extra warm and dry cloths.
4-All your cold water diving equipment, including dry suit.  Two tanks to avoid long times to refill them. Older gloves to use during the class so that you don’t damage your good pair.
5-Bring your favorite food for Breakfast Saturday morning and dinner for Saturday evening.  (Only Lunch and lemonade will be provided by the GLSPS)!
6-Bring your own favorite beverage.

*PLEASE BEWARE: The main road (61) through Duluth is under construction.  You will be detoured through the upper part of the city.  If you know a better way, please let us all know.

If you are still interested in attending this class, please send your payment of $170.00 ASAP to secure your spot.  Again, write check Payable to GLSPS / UWPTT Class and send out to:

"GLSPS" / UWPTT Class
7590 W Commerce St
Corcoran MN 55340
ATTN: Phil Kerber

The GLSPS Credit Card Machine is down for the summer.  Please send the fees by check or money order.  If you can only pay by Credit card.  Please give me a call and we will make other arrangements for you.

NOTE:  If we are weathered out for the underwater portion of the Class, we will have to decide on another weekend this summer to complete it.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Please reserve your spot for the class ASAP.  You will not be officially signed up as a student until you have paid the above fee.

The class is a GREAT time, I hope that you can see the value in learning these skills from this one of a kind course that only the GLSPS offers.    If you have any further questions, please contact me by email or call me.  My contact information is below.

Safe travels and diving,

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Lead Safety & Training Officer
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Office: 763-420-2059 Cell: 612-720-2825
pkerber@glsps.org or p.kerber@mchsi.com.

Safe Diving<br />PJK
06-04-2010, 08:50 AM,
Re: Underwater Tools & Techniques Class 2010
ATTENTION GLSPS MEMBERS:  If you would like to take the GLSPS Underwater Tools and Techniques Class you better sign up now!  It is approaching very fast and if you don't sign up soon, you will miss out on this one of a kind class.  This may be the last year that the class will be offered.  Unless the GLSPS feels the need to run more in the future.  When more people / members become interested or new people need to be trained the GLSPS will offer the class again.

So, please read the above post and if interested, please sign up ASAP .  There is one change (mistake) in the above announcement and that is that you only need 30 logged dives and not 60.  However you will still need an advanced diver certification.

Please let us know ASAP if you are interested.  The Leader of the Class is Phil Kerber and you can contact him at any of the above post contact information.

Safe diving and travels. Wink
Safe Diving<br />PJK