Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rules of Tow Boards and scuba in minnesota
03-20-2010, 08:03 AM,
Re: Rules of Tow Boards and scuba in minnesota
THANKS.

that is different than the other commercially made ones Ive seen. looks difficult to adjust depth.was that a home brew?
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-20-2010, 08:51 AM,
This was a manufactured one. It takes some getting used to. The better the viz, the more time you have to react to things. Gaining altitude is no problem but getting below 35' is challenging. We use a 100' rope and it may be easier with a longer rope. Kinda like parasailing with 600' of line out and only getting to 150' above the water. I think there is a maximum angle that can not be exceeded (even if you tried) so with a longer rope you could venture farther from this "straight line". The drawback to a longer line is that the diver is farther from the relative safety of the boats wake where other boaters may crowd you. The other drawback is lakes are only so big and when the boat needs to turn (for another boater, or reaching the end of the lake) the diver will loose speed or even stop depending on the tow boats radius.

Gaining altitude in a heartbeat to miss obstacles is required and learning how to do a barrel roll to miss tall obstacles is a plus. If all else fails the diver can just let go of the sled and stop his forward motion before hitting the obstacle too hard. This is a last resort as the boat will need to come back and get you and chew up valuable dive time. Weeds can be a problem as they foul up the sled and ruin your control. Sounds simple to just stay above the weeds with the sled but if the course is curvy the rope can drag across the weeds in front of you and they all end up in your lap. Weeds can be removed with one hand while hanging on with the other.
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM,
barrell rolls a  hundred + feet behind a boat with other boat traffic. and objects comming up fast to dodge.... that sounds like a blast!
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
06-21-2010, 12:35 PM,
Wow I've never heard of this. It sounds pretty fun though, if the lake was clear enough. You could really get a tank of air to last a while too without any kicking. Good video!
06-07-2016, 04:49 PM,
RE: Rules of Tow Boards and scuba in minnesota
looking at the law, if there is someone in attendance of the watercraft, it doesn't need to be anchored

(h) If at the discretion of the diver it would be safer and more visible, the flag may be displayed on a watercraft. If the flag is displayed on the watercraft, the craft must be at anchor or, if not at anchor, attended by a diver or a person appointed by the diver to tend the craft. Only watercraft displaying an official diver's flag are authorized in the diving area.

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun