Remember me
Lost Password Register

Any good diving around Tulum?
03-20-2010, 08:44 AM,
Re: Any good diving around Tulum?
A lot of spots  in Tulum had very rough surf when I was there.  15 minutes north, there is a town called Akumel that was "the" vacation spot to go until Playa Del Carmen and Cancun took over the tourism game.  We used the Akumel Dive Center and they ended up giving us a great deal on boat dives- $25.00 a tank.  The sites were less than 10 minutes from shore, 4 different boat trips every day.  The reef was in good shape.  It was not the top of the list but was certainly enjoyable every time.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
03-20-2010, 09:36 AM,
[quote author=Indigo Blues link=topic=6105.msg34560#msg34560 date=1269048867]
Hi DetectorGuy! I did not get a chance to dive Tortugas reef or the Mama Vina. I did Jardines, Sabalos and Barracuda reefs which are right next door to Tortugas reef. They are just off shore from Xcaret which is south of Playa del Carmen by about 30 minutes or so. I have tried to put images of Tortugas reef, the Mama Vina wreck and Dos Ojos the bat carvern. These scans are from my Playa del Carmen Dive guide and log book but the scans are to large to post here. I can email them to you if you like - just let me know your email address.

Thanks for sending me the e-mail on the divesites. That Mama Vina wreck looks cool.
03-20-2010, 01:45 PM,
Glad you got them all... If you want or need more of the maps listed on the reef or cenote lists just let me know.

Pat
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
03-23-2010, 07:38 AM,

Thanks again for the info. The map you sent me of Dos Ojos was impressive! I liked the map so much that I went to Aquaventure Dive & Photo Center last night and bought the Cenote book showing all the Cenotes with maps and photos in the area. I wil probably hit that Dos Ojos, Bat Cave, and Casa Cenote for sure and If I have time the Gran Cenote and Tajma Ha. I would also like to hit that C-58 wreck by Cancun.
03-24-2010, 06:26 PM,
I think most of the options have been covered here. For wrecks, the Mama Vina is nice for one dive (small wreck); second dive will probably be in the vicinity at Sabalos or Barracuda. I understand a number of Playa Dive Shops are going to the Puerto Morelos C-56 JUAN ESCUTIA and see lots of eagle rays. If you want to see turtles, do Tortugas in Playa. As previously mentioned there are a number of dive sites in Akumal - spur and groove there and different from Playa (or Cozumel) sites. And, Akumal is close access to the cenotes (and not far from Tulum). Finally, had some nice dives off Puerto Aventuras - Paradise and Aquarius. Did those from Akumal (an hour boat ride) but there are two shops right in Puerto Aventuras. They were in excellent shape and I think those sites see fewer divers than Akumal and Playa.

Have a good time. Note, watch the weather - you can get blown out with ocean dives with NE winds so will want to keep options open for Cenotes. However, the Cenotes will be busier if you have a few windy ocean days. I found Dos Ojos crowded (but the port was closed which was why I went).
People protect what they love. Jacques Cousteau.
03-25-2010, 06:22 AM,
One thing I forgot to mention is the temperature. Playa/Cozumel was 77-78F last week. The cenotes should be around 75F. You probably want a bit more of a wetsuit in the cenotes and a number of local dive masters use dry suits.
People protect what they love. Jacques Cousteau.
03-25-2010, 04:56 PM,
Having been there, I think that its all very good. No ice or snow and very good vis. I wish that I could go back.
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM,
Akumal Dive center can help you they have all what you need.

Andreas

Andreas
03-25-2010, 05:38 PM,
Have a good trip John Smile
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
03-25-2010, 06:59 PM,
Thanks for the info people. I only hope I get in enough dives to give me something to remember until the next time I get down that way. The plane leaves at 6:00 AM tomorrow so I will talk to you all in 12 days.
John