Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ankle Weights
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2010, 04:11 PM by mermaid.)
Ankle Weights
I've been told that only guppies wear ankle weights...I'm very slender and ankle weights were
suggested.

03-21-2010, 12:39 PM,
Re: Ankle Weights
Michelle
Then I must be a guppy because I have always worn Ankle weights
Helps keep my trim perfect when I am three levels down in a silty wreck
Bob
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM,
i find that i get the best trim the more centrally balanced i get the weight (hips and lower back)... i tried ankle weights a few times, but just found that it increased finning effort and made my legs sink.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM,
Also the type of fins you use can be a factor.  If you are using light weight buoyant plastic fins you might like ankle weights but if you are using a heavier negatively buoyant fin like Turtles or Jets you probably won't need ankle weights.
03-21-2010, 03:40 PM,
Whether you need a weight belt with an integrated BCD will depend on how much weight you need.  With my thick undergarment, I am using so much weight I can't get it all in the BCD so I'm now using a weight belt and the BCD to distribute it.  With a wetsuit, I was fine with just the BCD.  So really, it depends on how much weight you need.  More than likely, you'll be fine with just the BCD weight pockets.

If you use a weight belt, you could get something like the DUI weight & trim harness which can't fall off.  I added a harness to my weight belt I picked up at Aquaventure pretty cheap that I added to my weight belt.  This way the weight is distributed on my shoulders and waist
and it can't fall off.
03-21-2010, 08:20 PM,
Hey Michelle, you can hang weights on the tank neck and cam bands too. 

It's not only about weight, trim is important too. 

Normally ankle weights cure "floaty feet." 

On another forum, I read about a gal who forgot her weight belt on a dive trip and ended up stuffing weights in her sport bra. 

Is that dedication or what?  Big Grin
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM,

I believe I do have "floaty feet".  I'd looking for as much weight distribution as possible. 
I've heard of stuffing bras with socks and kleenex, but weights??  lol  ;D
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM,

I believe I do have "floaty feet".  I'd looking for as much weight distribution as possible. 
I've heard of stuffing bras with socks and kleenex, but weights??  lol  ;D
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with your fins... some are more floaty than others obviously.  You might want to try some ankle weights to get your trim a tad better.  They're not for "guppies."  You might be able to slide your tank down just a little bit more too. 

Socks and Kleenex?  Wouldn't that add buoyancy?  Smile
03-22-2010, 08:15 AM,
I'm surprise you need ankle weights with a wetsuit. That's normally a dry suit thing. If you can find a way to not use them, you'll be better off. Kicking lead is counter productive and makes for tired legs and slow swims. You might not feel the weight under water but mass is the same so moving mass back and forth waste energy.

I tried them for floating feet but I moved to gators (Leg wraps to keep air from pooling) and I don't need weights now.
It would depend a lot on gear as well, like Lonnie said, I also use heavy fins.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2010, 02:38 PM by mermaid.)

Thanks Steve!!  My fins float.  (not sure what that means they're made of).