Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bonaire intel
03-26-2010, 09:32 AM,
Bonaire intel
Just booked a trip to Bonaire for first week in June, thanks to free Delta tickets. I'm looking for advice from those who've been there -- where to sleep cheap, best dive sites, etc. We're not looking for a resort or boat dives, in order to keep costs low.

Thanks for any advice!
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM,
Re: Bonaire intel
WOW.. bonaire, you are going to love that!!  absolutely no need for a boat there.. they even have drive through tank pick up and drop off.. rent a pickup so you can get around easily.. there is so much shore diving you won't believe it.  The only reason possibly to do a boat dive would be to go to the wild side of the island, but otherwise, you will have great diving everywhere on the tame side.  Maybe you have already been to , there is a wealth of information there on accomodations, dive sites, restaurants, etc.. Bonaire is also great for snorkeling too.. shallow reefs with drop off's right there close to shore.. yah, I'm envious... bonaire was right up there with fiji and thailand.  Several wrecks or at least one are just off the shore,  a short surface swim.  I think it was the hilma hooker .. or something like that I freedove.. first time I ever swam into a bait ball.. wow, great fun.

Any extra free tickets... I'll guide for free too.. can't beat that deal can you?

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-26-2010, 02:22 PM,
Thanks, Fred! Some great tips! We are planning to only shore dive and are renting a pickup. Thanks for the reference to bonairetalk.com. Will check it out. After three trips to Cozumel, we were itching for a new experience and with frequent flyer miles and shore diving we hope to keep this one reasonable.
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM,
I enjoyed staying at Buddy Dive Resort two years ago.  Their drive through tank setup is nice. 

I thought the house reef at the Buddy resort was a below average dive site compared to other options in Bonaire. Next time I might stay at someplace like the Sand Dollar -- right off the amazing Bari reef. 

I would also do only shore dives next time.  When I stayed at Buddy they provided 4-6 boat dives as part of the package.  Sure the boat can take you to spots you can't reach otherwise. But frankly many of the shore dives were better. And you don't have to deal with the boat schedule, DM guides, and a dozen other divers.

Must do dives: 1000 Steps, Oil Slick Leap, Karpata, Andrea I/II, Bari Reef, Town & Salt Pier, Hilma Hooker

When you get hungry: Pasa Bon Pizza, City Cafe, Mona Lisa

--Jason
03-26-2010, 05:31 PM,
My experience has also been with Buddy Dive. You might check into the resorts for deals as I thought the dive-focused amenities made the trip. With a one bedroom apartment you can cook meals (or lunch and dinner) and that would save a lot. A 4-door pickup comes with package and is useful. The drive-through is great. Free nitrox is great for 3- or 4-dive days. There is a handy place to rinse, dry and stash your gear 24/7 and if you want a quick dive morning or night you can just go on the house reef. Friends of mine stay in town but stash their gear and dive with Capt. Don's. I'd check around and crunch some numbers on various options. Looks like Buddy Dive has a la carte unlimited shore dives for $139 for six days; that would give you a base and gas. Other resorts will probably do something similar. Have fun. In addition to Jason's suggestions, Small Wall and Witch's hut are good. Be sure to check out the shallows and soft coral on your way back from the Hilma Hooker.
People protect what they love. Jacques Cousteau.
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM,
Thanks a lot, guys, for the info! We're deep into research here and I appreciate the ideas.

Cheers.
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM,
We stayed at Belmar and the place was fantastic.
03-31-2010, 12:03 PM,
Bonaire is awesome.

Get nitrox certified and dive nitrox for the entire trip, as mentioned earlier most of the Bonaire packages include great deals on all the nitrox you can dive for a fixed price. You won't be doing any deep diving and you might be doing 4 per day depending on how into it you are - nitrox.

We stayed at the Plaza, it was okay but I think I would try somewhere else next time. It was spendy and a long walk from the dive shop to their own shore/reef. But we really liked the hotel shore dive and reef.

Add Invisibles to you list of sites to try. If you are feeling comfortable with your compass (or viz is really good) you can swim out to the second reef. It's a cool feeling swimming even farther out, away from the close reef only to find a second one with bigger schools of bigger fish.

Purchase a copy of the Bonaire Shore Diving made easy book - excellent map to all of the sites.

Get a set of dive boots with good soles because the ironshore entries can be a bit slippery / rough. I think when I go next time I'm just going to wear an old pair of converse shoes or DUI rock boots Smile

Don't leave anything in the truck (that you value) while diving. Town is so close (5-10min), you can always come back between dives for anything didn't dare leave in the truck while diving.

Petty theft and break-ins do happen there. Use good judgement. Have a room (or hotel desk) with a real safe should be strongly considered for storing passports, cameras, etc.

A lot of people bring a thumb drive (encrypted) with that has all passport, ID and financial info on it so if a break in occurs it will ease the process of leaving the country and entering the US (then just dive with this in a witz case and if the $5 drive floods who cares).

Read more about breakin's to be more aware. Sure, you can say it won't happen to me but then you're totally in the dark. Some people bring with tiny motion alarms, always leave lights / TV on when going to dinner etc since that is a prime time for break ins. And lately it would seem that some of these thieves are following people from the airport so if your spidy sense goes off maybe you alter a few plans here or there.

The bonairetalk.com site is a excellent resource as well as the ABC sub topic on scubaboard.com

One last thing, if you are even remotely thinking of trying U/W photography there is probably no better place (well maybe a live aboard) to try it out. Zero current. No DM's to rush you along. Heck, you can go back to the same reef again and again and again if you want.

You will love it. It will be very hot. The wind will never stop (ladies will have a bad hair week). Maybe bring some bug spray for the no-see-um's, not sure if they are a problem in June though
03-31-2010, 02:07 PM,
This is all exactly the kind of info I was looking for - thank you again! We've pretty much decided to rent a condo at Bel Air (in Belnem) for the five of us going. Got a great rate and it's second floor (security) and right on the water (sunsets), with a rinse tank, etc. onsite.

Once we get lodging settled, we'll dig into dive sites a bit more. But we've got 60 days to do it...  ;D

Thanks again!

Oh, one more question -- how necessary do you feel is the extra insurance on rental vehicles? I've been told to get it but it's $20 more per day. I guess between five of us, it's not a big deal but just curious.
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM,

Maybe your insurance covers you while there.. or using your credit card does.. or, you might find international insurance on line that are competitive too.  I usually just go with what my insurance co. offers and the credit card.  Except now, in Mexico, they're making you buy it.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?