Remember me
Lost Password Register

P-Valves
03-09-2003, 10:12 AM,
P-Valves
Okay guys, here we go: P-Valves. Are you using one? Is so, what kind (brand/homemade, balanced/unbalanced)? Any issues or problems? Was the valve installed by you or someone else (manufacturer)? Anybody using any "alternative" methods for dealing with the "urge to purge" when wearing a drysuit?
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-09-2003, 10:19 AM,
Re:P-Valves
Other question regarding this: does anyone know where I can find a non-online place where they have a wide selection of 90degree elbows Standard Pipe Thread to barbed hose fitting.
I'm planning on building my own after I spent way too much money on buying brand names, but I would like to take a look at the elbows before I buy 'em.
03-09-2003, 10:31 AM,
I have had two different valves in two different suits.

My first valve was the Diverite stainless steal one. It worked fine for about a year and then started to leak like crazy. For what it cost to overhaul it I decided to buy an Extreme Exposure one instead. I have had great luck with the E.E. balanced valve and would highly recomend it.

Make sure that you have the outer screw open on the valve if your "hooked up". If you don't it won't pressurize properly on the way down, or the way up. It can be painful. :'(

Whichever valve you choose it will be a 100 times better than the diapers that we used in the past- no leaks! Wink

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-09-2003, 10:34 AM,
DRE, not a specific place but if you ever get to the edge of the city where there is farm machinery, John deere or otherwise (mainly any type of crop sprayers) sold you'll find tons of that kind of stuff. If you ever get to Fargo, there's a place called Horvick Manufacturing that would have just what you're looking for. Hardware stores come close sometimes.. ACE or similar might have something.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-09-2003, 11:54 AM,

DRE -
Tons of stuff on the net. Try these links. Also, there are 2 or 3 good plastic fittings companies in town that have the same stuff. I bought the Halcyon unbalanced. Plastic, very easy to install and works fine - though I haven't had it to great depth. I was told you don't need balanced above -130ft.
After seeing what I got from Halcyon, I would never buy one again. So easy to make from less than $5 simple parts...

Dan L
03-09-2003, 12:51 PM,
Yeah - I used to have the EE ones as well and I'm sick of paying $80 for $10 in parts.
I have found parts online - it's just that I would like to take a look at them before buying. I want to make sure that the elbow piece has enough flat area to support the washers. Hard to tell from an online place.
Also, I have used the unbalanced ones upto 260ft, so I don't think that depth is really an issue, as long as the tubing is stiff enough, then again: once you open the screw, water will enter the tube and equalize to ambient pressure, so there is no pressure differential to overcome.

Thanks for the tip on the farm supplies stores - I'll check Fleet Farm locally - they might have what I need.
03-09-2003, 01:16 PM,
I am still counting the money I spent on the EE balanced p-valve to be some of the best money I have spent. I put mine in using a punch to make the hole. The only caution I have is to make sure that any animals or small children are kept away while things are drying. My suit was bumped and there is a bit of glue where there should not be on the outside.

Given the costs of other gear I can't get too worked up over at most an $80 savings by building it myself. My time is worth more than the running around.

JoelW

03-09-2003, 07:13 PM,
Joel,

that's true, but this is the fourth p-valve I'd be buying and that adds up. Also, I just love building some of my own gear. In the beginnings of tech diving most divers were building stuff all the time, but now everything is available through the major manufacturers.
I also have some ideas about building primary reels, some of which haven't been build yet.

I agree with you though, that in the grand scheme of things 80$ is nothing.