MEMBERS AND FRIENDS

Of the

S.S. Meteor!

GLSPS, (Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society),

WUAA, (Wisconsin Underwater Archeology Association),

LSMMA, (Lake Superior Maritime Museum Association),

AND

(SPM), Superior Public Museums

We will be Sponsoring the "Sixth" Annual S.S. Meteor Preservation Project. Saturday and Sunday April 24 and 25, 2010

This is a very worthy cause and if we don't attempt to preserve this one-of-a-kind Whaleback ship, it could be lost forever!

Please come join us in preserving one of the only "Whaleback Ships" remaining in the world!

We are looking for a few good men and women to help preserve the S.S. Meteor. 

Requirements / Recommendations:

You must be 18 years of age or older.  (Unless other arrangements are made)
Have your own Medical Insurance.
This is a Project that requires the ability to do Physical work.
Please bring any of your own safety equipment such as respirators masks, knee guards, gloves, coveralls, shoes, boots, hats and warm cloths.
Note:  Tools such as Scrapers, brushes, wiping rags, cleaners, and some respirator masks will be provided.

The last six years we put this Project together, we had a great turn out. Last year we broke a record for volunteers. We had 62 plus people helping out on this event! The folks from the Superior's Public Museum's Board of Directors were very appreciative with the efforts of all the organizations that helped on this event to become one of the most Successful ever! Let’s try doing the same or better this year!

Here are some of the tasks we need to perform:

Housekeeping / Cleaning.
Continue Documenting Display Artifacts with Digital Cameras and official Documentation Forms. Scrape and paint Chart Room.
Complete cleaning, scraping and painting engine room; includes removing paint chips, painting overhead; remove rust and prime top of main engines, finish painting steam pipes.
Polish Brass in pilot house and engine room; spray with clear lacquer.
Repair, prime window frames in pilot house.
Complete painting interior turret stairway.
Clean portholes.
Remove rust from engine/value linkage, paint? (engine room)
Remove flaking paint from ceiling in exhibit area (primer is still good), repaint if time permits.
Replace screws in mess stools.
Repair sections of exhibit floor with vinyl cement (tripping hazard!).
Continue work on engine started.  Need hydraulic puller for frozen gear?? Lost pin? (Phil?).
Weld small hole, starboard (was filled with silicone in 2009 as a temporary fix)
Replace rusted bracket and plate on exterior stair/walkway, similar to work done last year.
Scupper drain portside is plugged – needs to be cut and replaced.  Ned 10’ of iron pipe, 1” OD.
Clean exhibit case glass, insiders.
Clean crews’ quarters, make beds, etc.
Replace valve on horn compressor – we have valve.
Repair horn bracket (bolt? weld?)
Weld various other rusted areas of the ship

Date: Saturday and Sunday April 24 and 25, 2010

Time: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Saturday and 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM Sunday

Where: S.S. Meteor Whaleback Museum in Superior Wisconsin on Barkers Island.

Lunch: Will be provided.  (Breakfast you will be on your own).   

A Saturday Night Event will be held with a light Buffet Dinner. It will be exciting. Please don't miss it.

We can meet at the Perkins restaurant for both Mornings for Breakfast.

Lodging: Can be provided for up to 20 people in various campers, boats and houses around the area free of charge, based on a first come first served bases.  Note:  If you are staying in any of the campers or boats, please bring your sleeping bag, pillow and other sleeping accommodations.

If you prefer to stay in a Hotel, there are a few small Hotels in the local area.  Please Google “Hotels - Superior Wisconsin”

Ask the staff of the Museum to bring you on a tour of the ship you normally don't see on a regular summer tour!

Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would like to be part of this very worthy cause by contacting the Chairman of the event, Phil Kerber.  Please contact him by using any of the below information. For you out-of-towners his toll free number is 1-866-300-2059.

We will need to make the necessary arrangements after I have a head count.  So, please confirm your attendance ASAP!

Thank you very much for your time.

Hope to see you there.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Office: 763-420-2059 Cell: 612-720-2825
pkerber@glsps.org or p.kerber@mchsi.com.  

04-09-2010, 07:42 PM,
Re: SS Meteor project
What's the street address of the Perkins that is right in sight of the Meteor?  Where we meet for breakfast Sat?  I need something to plug into the computer, or I'll end up in Texas... ??? ??? ??? :Smile :Smile Tongue Tongue :-*
04-10-2010, 04:30 AM,
Pat
Perkins phone and address
715) 718-4153
103 E 2nd Street
Superior, WI 54880

If you have questions my cell is...
651-303-4114

Bob
04-10-2010, 08:18 AM,

Hey Bob, (your up plenty early :-\) question,,,,, can we pick what crew we want to help with? I'm a commercial spark and have pretty dandy mechanical skills, didn't want to get assigned cleaning display cases, (we'll leave that to Michelle)    THANKS!    Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM,
Terry the next thing your going to say is that your a old navy sparkie too.
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM,

No Grump, I was not in the service, it was not even required that you register for selective service when I turned 18.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
04-10-2010, 04:00 PM,

Hey Terry, just give me some non-streaking cleaner and I can do a mean job on those display cases!  (Actually, joining the crew and continuing the task of documenting display artifacts with digital dameras and official documentation forms on the computer is more what I'd be good at.) 
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM,
Terry
We have bunch of mechanical project and maybe even a sparky one

Michelle
That sounds great

Bob
04-11-2010, 08:58 PM,
Michelle, Dick, and Terry
Are you planning to join us?
For just Saturday?
Or bring your sleeping bags and pillows and make a weekend of it.
If you stay over, on Saturday night, Superior Public Museums host a dinner and speaker at the Old Fire House Museum for us.
Lisa how about you?
Bob
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM,
Greetings again,

This is a last call for those that missed the announcement I sent three weeks ago and would still like to attend the S.S. Meteor Project this weekend April 24 & 25.  This is a very worthy cause and your help is much appreciated.  There are still a couple of openings for free lodging.  Free lunch is provided and a Buffet Dinner Saturday night with a presentation on the future of the Meteor and the ongoing  Restoration Project.

Those of you that have already emailed me to let me know you are attending the Project don’t have to contact me.  Those of you that would still like to join us, please contact me ASAP so that we can get a final head count.  I have included another S.S. Meteor Project Announcement for your convenience and more details about the Project.  (See attachment).

Thank you for your interest in volunteering for a GLSPS Project.  Hopefully, if we don’t see you at this one we can see you at a future GLSPS Project.

Best Regards,

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Office: 763-420-2059 Cell: 612-720-2825
pkerber@glsps.org or p.kerber@mchsi.com.