Remember me
Lost Password Register

SS Meteor project
04-25-2010, 08:33 PM,
Re: SS Meteor project
Hey guys,

How'd it go with the Meteor this past weekend? 
05-03-2010, 12:12 AM,
Re: SS Meteor project
Sorry I’m not getting back to you folks about the S.S. Meteor Project until now.  I don’t visit this site very often and I sure wish I had the time to visit it more.  It seems to be very important to keep people up to date on what the GLSPS is doing.  Since I am the Chairman of this project I will fill you all in as to how the project went.
When arriving early on Friday afternoon I was greeted by the Craig David Family.  Craig is the welder that is making an attempt to weld as many rust holes shut on the Meteor as he can.  He’s doing a very good job at it!  Craig had 80% of the welding done on the port turret cabins by the end of Friday.  They had a very good start on the project.  A group of painters led by Bill Smith along with Craig’s wife Kari painted the area that Craig welded.  Later Saturday afternoon the turret and cabin areas on the port side looked 30 years younger presenting a new lease on life, so to speak. 

The other important area of the Meteor the volunteers concentrated on was the engine room.  It was in dire need of another coat of white paint.  Also it needed to be painted since the project last year only allowed the volunteers to finish part of the upper engine room with white primer.    Now the engine room looks like it did many years ago.

The best way to see the results of our volunteer efforts is to stop by the Meteor when up in the area and take a tour of the ship.

These and many other tasks were completed, much too many to list here on the forum.  The project was very well received by the Staff of Superior Public Museums and the City of Superior.  We had three TV Stations reporting on the event at the same time.  Even I had my smiling face on Channel 5 as well. 

If you would like to read more about the project, there will be a detailed article in the GLSPS Newsletter that’s being produced right now and will be mailed out to all members soon.  That’s why it’s a good idea to be a GLSPS member.  Please log onto the GLSPS website at for more details and pictures of previous S.S. Meteor Projects. 

I would like to thank all 48 volunteers that helped on the Meteor Project.  Without their support, this one of a kind whaleback ship would be doomed and lost forever.  Thanks again for your time. 

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Safe Diving<br />PJK