Remember me
Lost Password Register

Defenders of Wildlife
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM by mermaid.)
Defenders of Wildlife
I don't usually do this, but I think this is a worthy cause.   

Most people have a particular animal or animals that they are interested in or fascinated with,
and the wolf is just one of mine.  Smile
04-06-2010, 03:52 PM,
Re: Defenders of Wildlife
I have never seen a wolf in the wild and would love the opportunity do so.  Being an avid hunter, I think the whole "air assault hunting" style is pretty lame.  It should not even be called hunting.  However, I am not a livestock farmer and I imagine that I may have a different perspective on wolves if I were losing livestock or even family pets on a weekly basis.  In northern MN, the DNR is urging the fed. government to remove them from the protected list because of the pressure they put on the moose and deer population, as well as livestock.  I think it is terrific how the wolf has bounced back, but even the top of the food chain needs to be put in check sometimes. 
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM,
Here is an article about the push by the DNR to manage Wolves:

&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM,
I've NEVER considered myself an activitist, but sometimes I think we take our "God given authority" over the Earth too far and abuse her "unlimited" resources. 

That said, I think this petition could use our support as well. (I copied this link from another website).   

04-06-2010, 04:28 PM,
Here is another link responding to the potential livestock concerns, among others.

04-06-2010, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2010, 04:56 PM by scubadog76.)
I don't always agree with the business end of the DNR, but tend to believe that their game management division is "nuts on" with what they do.  They wait until the last minute in the fall to decide how many ducks should be the limit for that year, they analize the winters to make an educated count for other species and most importantly-They enforce the laws.  If they say that Wolves need management, I believe them.  Man's intervention should not always be viewed as a negative thing.  Wild Turkey were 100% gone from Minnesota in the 1950's until our state traded 70 grouse to Missouri for 30 Eastern Turkey.  Now the population is est. at around 60,000 birds(-1 when I bag mine in a couple of weeks!).  And the visability that all divers appreciate will get even better when Bowfishing and spearing of carp (a non-native species) has fewer restrictions.  Poaching sucks, Management rocks!
04-06-2010, 04:39 PM,
I would not imagine that the  original site that you posted, would post anything that would contradict their own message.
04-06-2010, 04:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM by mermaid.)
I would not imagine that the  original site that you posted would post anything that would contradict their own message
[/quote]

I was addressing your livestock concerns, etc, '76.  I did not say it was from the original website. 
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM by mermaid.)

We are ALL part of the food chain, and when one "segment" of the chain is disturbed/weakened/kinked/out of whack, everything else gets thrown out of balance.  Even though I don't like hunting, I understand the need for it.  When I was old enough to understand, my dad's explanation to me for the deer hunting season went something like this...Sure you think deer are beautiful, they are beautiful animals, but if there are too many of them, some of them will starve over the winter because there won't be enough food for all of them.  A cruel picture, but true.

Wolves are part of the food chain, and where they have been eliminated, other wildlife has quickly multiplied, throwing nature out of balance.  I'm not saying that wolves shouldn't be controlled at some point...but let them be protected until they recover to the levels they were at BEFORE they were almost hunted to extinction...extinction is permanent...

04-06-2010, 06:10 PM,
Hey sorry to pee on your parade but the grey worf was NEVER endangered there where plenty of them in Canada and Alaska along with parts of Russia. I have nothing against the wolf but they do need to be managed in this state
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.