Remember me
Lost Password Register

Exposure Protection
04-12-2010, 07:22 AM,
Re: Exposure Protection
The best definition of the word "Experience" I have ever heard is: "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted in the first place".

When I first dove Isle Royal I used a 1/4" wetsuit with hood and mit's with an additional 1/8" vest under the jacket and was fine for the duration of most dives. I had modded my jacket with a spine pad and that really helped. Like it has been said the tighter the fit the less water gets pumped in and out - thus keeping you warmer.

Currently I am using a 5/7mm wetsuit with a 6.5mm gauntlet style hood and gloves. Yesterday I bought a 2mm shorty suit and it fits better over than under my regular suit - I tried it both under and over my other suit and over is more comfortable for me. I have not had a chance to dive with it yet to see how comfortable I will be but I want to get out very soon. I'lll let you know how it goes.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM,
Re: Exposure Protection

I agree with Detector Dudes good advice. I attempted free balling it with slip on full foot longfins and a 5mil traditional  full length wetsuit/gloves/mask. NO BOOTIES.
It was too much for me.PINS AND NEEDLES.

switched to 7mil with the smoothskin seals at wrists and ankles, and this time used booties with open heal fins(tough to find as open heal model), and was fine.

water temp last weekend was somewere around 46deg. this weekend i checked and it was 47-49. not much for fish yet.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;