Remember me
Lost Password Register

We found another boat today.
04-17-2010, 09:43 PM,
We found another boat today.
Shooter and I were doing some training dives in Spectacle Lake today. We did two dives each and found 4 anchors, a ladder to a pontoon boat (this is kind of a different story all together), a live basket, a mint condition Hamms pop top beer can, a dozen golf balls, and an old wood boat. We were on the second tank and were down to 700 PSI each. We surfaced about 50 yards from each other and I told Shooter that I was going to walk my 1 anchor along shore to the dive boat as I didn't have my lift bag with me. He told me that he was going to swim along the bottom parallel to shore and drag the lift bag with his 2 anchors behind and that we would meet at the dive boat. I dropped my anchor off and decided to burn up a couple hundred pounds of air and dive out to meet Shooter 100 yards off shore. I got out to about where he was and I saw this old wood boat sitting right there. I looked from the stern toward the bow and I saw a rope tied to the bow extending up to the surface. I followed it up and saw Shooter at the top of the rope. He had just found it minutes before I got there. We checked air and decided to get the camera and get some video of it. We both dropped down for a minute and then we were running low on gas so we both surfaced. The wood boat was sitting upright in about 20' of water. It had blocks in it from whoever scuttled it. One of the four anchors we found was snagged on the bow. Its no Spanish Galleon but I really get a kick out of finding these old boats. Here is a link to the video I took:

Attached Files
.jpg   PICT0020 (Resized).JPG (Size: 899.55 KB / Downloads: 156)
.jpg   PICT0021 (Resized).JPG (Size: 919.68 KB / Downloads: 96)
.jpg   PICT0021 (Resized).JPG (Size: 919.68 KB / Downloads: 96)
04-18-2010, 08:50 AM,
Re: We found another boat today.
Very nice vis looks good. You sharing the boat loc or is it a secret?
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
04-18-2010, 09:04 AM,
Very nice video! What a bonanza of goodies you guys found.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
04-18-2010, 09:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2010, 09:19 AM by Shooter.)

it is just north of buckhorns swim beach in about 20 feet of water. There is a green boathouse north of the swim beach it is in between the two. vis Was about 10 to 15 feet above the thermocline.

I can't figure out why people are carrying cement blocks in all these old boats so many years ago!  :Smile ;D
04-18-2010, 06:51 PM,
Thanks that will give me a reason to use up some partial tanks I have. 8)
04-18-2010, 07:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM by DetectorGuy.)

I would say about 40' south of the green boathouse in about 18' to 20' of water. If you get to 23' deep you are too far out. It would look pretty cool in a garden or something if it didn't disintegrate once it hit the air. The bow is pointy like a canoe but the stern is about 4' wide and definitely an old school look to it. I think the nails in it may be brass as algae did not stick to any of them and you can see everyone of 'em.
04-19-2010, 06:36 AM,

It would look pretty cool in a garden or something
[/quote]

I think the coolest spot for it is right where we found it.  8)  may be add a skeleton and a fishing pole  :Smile

Doug,

have you ever tried a trans fill whip? . Remember the song by Devo but change the words. When you're tanks are getting low, and you've got more dives to go, you gotta whip it, whip it good  lyrics by Capt. Ben Bateman
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM,
Ive got a couple fishing poles that could go back in the water where they came from but Im fresh out of skeletons  ;D
04-19-2010, 01:13 PM,
I got a friend that digs graves in the area. I'll see what he can come up with....................just kidding...........but I do know a grave digger. Wink
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM,

Does he live next to and work in a cemetery ?