Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather questions
04-04-2003, 04:45 PM,
Re:Rebreather questions
I agree with everything that DRE says. You are actually much more conservative than thirds because you have a FULL set of doubles on your back.

One of my friends was doing clean-up on a shipwreck survey dive we were doing last summer. He was swimming around with something like 9 tanks on his left side, plus doubles on his back, without a problem. The key is using aluminum tanks for this kind of diving. There's a reason that steel stages are known as "ankle-bangers" they just don't float as nice as an aluminum 80 in the water.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-04-2003, 05:52 PM,
9 tanks!!!!! you just answered the Why use a rebreather question.
Diver Mole
visit
04-04-2003, 07:17 PM,
I said that he was doing "clean-up" on a team dive!

Each individual diver had a set of doubles and one or two deco bottles on them. We tied the deco bottles off to the main reference point and worked out from there. We also station extra deco bottles on the bottom in case any of the teams run into problems.

He didn't carry 9 tanks because he HAD to, he did it to see how comfrotable it would be on a future cave dive.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-05-2003, 09:02 AM,
This scenario kinda reminds me of a picture off of Divermole's webpage. Smile
04-05-2003, 09:48 AM,

This scenario reminds me of the Muppets Show...
04-08-2003, 03:38 PM,
Sorry for the late response, the scrubber canister in the Inspiration is rated for 3 hours. Many people will extend their time to 4 or 5 hours but this is against recomendations by Ambient Pressure Diving. Extending the time on the scrubber greatly increases the risk of CO2 breakthrough, so personally I usually dump my scrubber after 3 hours. I value my life more than the few dollars I will save by overusing it. The amount of scrubber chemical needed to fill the canister fits almost perfectly into 1 gallon ziploc freezer bags. I usually double or triple bag it to prevent the chemical from contact with air. So, depending on the trip, I usually only need to fill the scrubber at home, and bring one or two extra fills in ziploc bags.