Remember me
Lost Password Register

Playa Del Carmen?
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM,
Playa Del Carmen?
Looking at booking some timeshare days for next summer. one of the places we can use is in Playa Del Carmen. How is the diving? I assume not much different then Cozumel?

Trying to find some good diving with plenty to keep the non diving wife happy!
04-25-2010, 04:19 PM,
Re: Playa Del Carmen?

Then you just need to get her into diving  ;D
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM,
I stayed there in 06 and I liked it. The resorts where nice, close to down town. They have the night life just not as crowded as Cancun. I did a few dives one was on the Mama Vina, a wreck in 100ft. Theres a realy nice drift dive called Tortuga. I also did a reef dive where we had a whale shark show up for 20min.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM,
If the diving is not to your liking, keep in mind that there are cenotes a half hour down the road.  Some dive shops in Akumel may pick you up In Playa.  Also keep in mind, Cozumel is only a 45 minute boat ride/ $30.00ish, round trip ferry ride.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-26-2010, 08:33 PM,
I 2nd heading over to Coz.  Was there 2 weeks ago, awesome.
04-27-2010, 12:43 PM,
I have dived in Playa on two trips and was very happy both times. Lots of critters to see and it's all drift diving like Cozumel but you don't get the big coral formations like at Palancar, etc.

The guy to dive with is Jason at Fantasea (not to be confused with the local Fantasea). He runs a small op right on the beach and can arrange for cenote diving, classes, and he knows the secret spots to dive. Bit of a cowboy but safe and personable.

01-28-2011, 05:34 PM,
We've been to the Playa and Cancun area four times.  The diving is good, but you have to be careful when you go.  The seas are rougher in the spring, so you aren't able to dive as much as Cozumel, where you can normally dive everyday on the leeward side.  You will be happy diving at Cancun or Playa, just don't be dissapointed if you can only dive salt one day during your trip.  The Cenotes are cool, but I didn't want to dive them everyday.  Have fun. ;D
Steve T.
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM,
I was  in Cancun three months ago and dove the cenotes in Playa, they are neat, try them as I liked it but could not do it everyday. Cozumel is fantastic, well worth the boat ride !!!!