Remember me
Lost Password Register

halcyon rebreather
03-11-2003, 04:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2003, 04:29 PM by DiverMole.)
Re:halcyon rebreather
The condensation forms on the cold metal fittings that go through the head. The cell faces are inside the loop and at the same temp as the loop, so no condensation. They have a great deal of airflow over them

There is NO spit in the scrubber head, it would have to go round the loop, past the exhale lung, water trap and then pass through 2 waterproof membranes and the scrubber material. In short impossible

Even if some moisture got on them it, would roll off in seconds. If it beat the laws of physics and managed to stay and completely block the cell, it wouldn't be an issue, You have 2 other cells that would be working. When the blocked cell differed by 0.1 bar the warning would go off (if you hadn't noticed before) and you would do a dil flush to check the cells responses to tell which were correct. If that didn't clear it a sensible diver would call the dive and ascend as normal

a total NON ISSUE
Diver Mole
visit
03-11-2003, 08:59 PM,
From reading all the posts about rebreathers, my impression is most of the negative facts are myths or resolved issues.

Many have re-posted information from other sites/web pages that flat out have been de-bunked as false.

DiverMole, Chuck and others that have come forward to talk openly about this subject has been extremely appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

The biggest issue seems to me too be training.

I can hardly wait to get enough experience under my belt so I can join in the fun.
03-11-2003, 09:19 PM,
If it's a none issue, then why are guys putting these things into their rigs to clean off the sensors?
This is an after-market modification to let compressed air dust off the film that builds up on the sensors and, reportedly, leads to false readings.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   rebreatherpart1.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-12-2003, 02:36 AM,
Yes, 1 person did this mod and posted the pictures in 98. To the best of my knowledge no other person has ever done this.

So thats 1 Inspiration diver that thinks its a problem and 4999 that dont

Thats one of the problems with the internet, one posting from a single person can become FACT if enough people, who have no training or understanding of that unit, repeat the same information endlessly

I did an ice dive 2 weekends ago, when I stripped my head down afterwards I had the most condensation I had ever seen in my head, it was covered. BUT had the cells blipped even once during the dive, no

This is JUST NOT AN ISSUE. I know GI3 wants to make it one

Here is a picture of my head after 45m for 50 mins, spot the huge amount of problem causing condensation, NOT
Diver Mole
visit
03-12-2003, 07:34 AM,
What about condensation in a warm, humid climate where the air is moist when your packing your cansiter?

I have another internet myth that I was hoping you would clear up for me. What's the deal with TDI recentyl banning their instructors from teaching on the Inspirations? What kind of back-room politics went on there?

I have seenthe units and no someone who dives one. They seem like nifty little toys to me, but i won't be getting one for some time because of two things.

1. They cost way too much.

2. I have had so many different computers fail on me with just normal cold water deco diving that I could never, personally, trust any computer to do all of my thinking for me. I am not talking about G3 speak, I have actually had computers give out on me almost 2 dozen times, usually with 45 minutes of deco left to do. Since I always carried back up tables and gauges to begin with it was not a problem, but as a result I could never trust one, or three, to maintain my breathing loop.

For those of you who trust that kind of technology I say great. I have certainly read the stories about doing an hour at 250' followed by another at 150' and then finishing off with another hour decoing in ths shallows down in Cayman. It sounds like great fun, just not in my budget or trustworthiness of any of the units.

Jon
03-12-2003, 07:41 AM,
Thats why I have 3 computers and me doing the monitoring. Although I've been luckier than you with them, I've been using deco computers since 84 (decobrain) and never had a single one fail in about 1800 dives with them

The TDI thing was an issue with US insurance laibility. TDI teach Inspiration in all other countries. Thirr insurers just wouldn't cover the Box in the US. They probably heard all the misinformation put around by folks who should know better

Yep, I wishe dthe box was cheaper to, thats why its called the YBOD, Yellow box of Debt!!!!
Diver Mole
visit
03-12-2003, 07:52 AM,
What are you using for bailout?

I have seen some rigged with two inspirations stacked together and others with standard sidemount bailout bottles.

Also, do you always dive with another rebreathing buddy so that you run similar profiles?

I would think that buddy diving would take care of many of the deaths associated with them. Your buddy can watch your back if you go hypoxic and can't add your own 02.

Jon
03-12-2003, 08:03 AM,
And I thought the topic here was the Halcyon rebreather?
03-12-2003, 08:54 AM,

Bailout depends totally on the dive. I calculate my bailout requirements for each dive plan and allow a 1/3 reserve. Varies from just the inbuilt (down to 20m, no deco), Extra 3L down to 40m, limited deco, to 7l side slungs for 80m. Currently building unit that takes 2x7l in the case so I can do 80m with all gas on back safely

I always dive with a buddy on Closed Circuit. To not do so is suicidal IMHO. Unfortunately they are often OC as I do a lot of training dives (I am the training officer of my BSAC branch) so I have to do whatever profile they are limited to
Diver Mole
visit