Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bare Trilam HD Tech Drysuit
06-04-2010, 04:06 PM,
Bare Trilam HD Tech Drysuit
Looking to buy a new drysuit.  It is used, with only a few dives on it...no wear on the soles.  Just wondering how these hold up...I'm pretty easy on drysuits...so far.  I've been diving with an Apollo Neoprene that is a million years old, and it's about time to upgrade.  So, is this Bare comparable to DUI or Diving Concepts?
06-04-2010, 04:58 PM,
Re: Bare Trilam HD Tech Drysuit
I dive one and am very happy with it.  Many people who have seen mine have commented that they will definitely be considering the Bare for their next suit.  It is similar to the Diving Concepts.  I think the DUI is a nicer suit but at a much higher price (double really).  As far as value for the dollar, the Bare beats the DUI hands down.
06-04-2010, 05:20 PM,
ive got an older model bare than mattd and mine has only had one pinhole, everything else is great, im 6' 180 and the ML size is perfectly fit. theres been a lot of really nice suits come out in the last few years since mine, but the new bare design is even better than the old design.

there are some much nicer drysuits though depending on what you want.

the only thing that is slightly annoying is the arm vent is a little too much on the front of the arm for my liking, id prefer it on the back of the arm more so i dont have to lean back from the prone position to vent. might have changed on the new design tho.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-04-2010, 08:10 PM,
I'm 6'1" 230 and wear a XXL.  I don't recall any issues with my dump location, so either it doesn't bother me, or they fixed that.
06-06-2010, 08:57 AM,
I have used a Bare Trilam HD for several years and it is a nice suit.  I like the fact that the Tall sizes aren't custom.  They are very heavy compared to something like a DUI TLS 350, and in my opinion, they are built better and more durable as well.  I wasn't a big fan of the factory boots and had DUI turbo soles put on my Bare suit.  They are OK, but likely not the ultimate solution either.  I'd get a smaller size if I switched to them again.  I'm also a big fan of the neoprene neck seal.  Warm and comfortable.

One of these years I'm going to need to order another and the boots are the only part of the suit I'm not sure about.

With the CAD nearly the same as the USD, they aren't the deal they used to be, but I'd buy another one anyway.
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM,
Well, I bought it, and dove Superior on Saturday.  Having only worn a neoprene drysuit since I've been diving, a shell suit takes a little getting used to...creases and wrinkles.  Also, the inflator valve on this suit makes no noise...have to be keen to your buoyancy a bit more. 

BTW, Lake Superior is around 50 degrees now...surprisingly warm!