Remember me
Lost Password Register

LMA Not allowing boats to Launch if at Prior Lake clean up!
06-04-2010, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM by scubafreek864.)
LMA Not allowing boats to Launch if at Prior Lake clean up!
I just got an email from LMA about them not allowing anyone who is at the Prior Lake clean up to launch into Minnetonka for the LMA clean up.

To me, this a bunch of bull.  The DNR states 5 days of drying is enough time between lakes.

This is what they sent me:

Dear Divers,

The 9th Annual LMA Lake Clean Up is almost one week away and we are looking forward to another great day at the Bayside Grille on Lake Minnetonka!  If you haven't registered yet, please do so now.

In past emails, I mentioned the need for increased vigilance towards aquatic invasive species like zebra mussels.  These mussels are currently in Prior Lake, and thus the risk of spreading zebra mussels to other lakes is greater than ever.  Due to this increased risk, the Lake Minnetonka Association has implemented a new policy towards dive boats and dive equipment.  Please read the policy below and contact Justin Hickman (hickman@lmassociation.org) with any questions:

The Lake Minnetonka Association is very concerned about the possible introduction of Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) into Lake Minnetonka.  We know AIS are carried by boats, trailers and equipment moving from infested waters.  This year’s event occurs the week following a similar Clean Up event on Prior Lake, a lake known to be infested with zebra mussels.  Thus, in addition to our general policy, listed below, we will not allow any watercraft that participates in Prior Lake’s event on June 5, 2010 to launch into Lake Minnetonka and participate in the Lake Minnetonka Clean Up event on June 12, 2010.  Divers participating in the Prior Lake event are welcome to participate, just not in any watercraft that has been in Prior Lake the week before.

Divers’ equipment is also a possible way to carry zebra mussels or other AIS.  The best way to assure divers’ equipment is not carrying AIS, is to assure that all equipment is completely dry.  So, we will be inspecting all divers’ equipment as they enter the event registration area to assure it is completely dry.  Any equipment not completely dry will not be allowed for use in Lake Minnetonka.

General Policy

1.      All participants will be informed of this plan and given materials informing them how to take preventative actions (following pages).

2.      All participants must notify the event coordinator (hickman@lmassociation.org) prior to the event whether they plan on using their own watercraft, and if so:

·        All watercraft participating in the Prior Lake Clean Up event will not be allowed to participate in the event.

·        All participating watercraft resident on Lake Minnetonka for at least a week prior to the event will not be required to be inspected.

·        All participating watercraft originating from off Lake Minnetonka will:

a.       Be required to launch at the Grays Bay landing between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m.

b.      Will identify themselves to the event inspector.

c.       Will be inspected for AIS, evidence of AIS and residual water in all reservoirs.

d.      If AIS are found, they will be required to be removed.  If removal is not possible, they will not be allowed to launch or participate in the event.

·        During the event, participating divers will be asked to search for new AIS, especially zebra mussels.

Stop aquatic hitchhikers!

If you are a water recreationist—boater, angler, water-skier, sailor, or canoeist—there are some important things you can do to prevent the transport of harmful invasive species from one lake or river to another. In Minnesota it is illegal to transport prohibited invasive species.

INSPECT your boat, trailer, and equipment and REMOVE visible aquatic plants, animals, and mud before leaving the water access.

DRAIN water from your boat, motor, bilge, live wells, and bait containers before leaving the water access.

SPRAY, RINSE, or DRY boats and recreational equipment to remove or kill species that were not visible when leaving a waterbody. Before transporting to another water:

Spray/rinse with high pressure, and/or hot tap water (above 120º F), especially if moored for more than a day; or

Dry for at least five days

DISPOSE of unwanted bait and other animals or aquatic plants in the trash.

REPORT new sightings of aquatic invasive species. If you suspect a new infestation of an invasive plant or animal, save a specimen and report it to a local natural resource office.

Event: The 9th Annual LMA Lake Clean Up

Date: Saturday, June 12, 2010 from 7:15 AM - 12:30 PM (CT)

687 Excelsior Blvd
Excelsior, MN 55331

For more information click here: The 9th Annual LMA Lake Clean Up

Registration powered by Eventbrite

This email was sent by Eventbrite, your total online solution to publish, register, manage and promote events. Host Your Events With Eventbrite

Click here to unsubscribe from events by "Lake Minnetonka Association."
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM,
Re: LMA Not allowing boats to Launch if at Prior Lake clean up!
nothing more depressing than a dry drysuit.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM,
I got the same email and found it to be in extremely poor taste.  I understand the zebra muscles are an issue, but when you start regulating who is good enough to volunteer to pick up trash at your event and who isn't, it seems a little over the top.
06-05-2010, 12:26 PM,

A dry wetsuit is just as depressing. 

As invasive as the zebra muscles are and as nice as Lake Minnetonka is, I'm sure the LMA is just taking the precautions they
think are necessary.  A lot of people think 5 days of drying is enough, it looks like they don't.  :-\ 
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM,

Ya I agree with Matt does seem a little over the top, and not that you want to rush it anyway, but zebras will find there way in to most every body of water, eventually. I just dont see your typical beer drinking redneck sitting at home on Sun because he went fishing in a zebra infested lake on Sat  :-\ I would think looking over the collection of junk,,,I mean treasure is an ideal method for proof positive that they are, indeed in your lake. What about if your out mucking and a real little one gets into your wetsuit boot and you wait your 5 days then go out, I never saw my wetsuit boots dry inside totally in 5 days, but then the diver wants to rinse the pee out of his wetsuit boots ( not me of course :-\) in the new lake upon finishing his dive, and he just pours the baby zebra into his new home.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
06-05-2010, 02:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2010, 02:43 PM by mermaid.)

When I read the same email, they stated that they will be checking the gear of registered divers upon check-in to make
sure it's dry...if not dry...the diver cannot dive.  It looks like this has the potentilal to become a big mess.       
06-05-2010, 03:18 PM,
Here are a couple more emails I received:

Robert,

I understand your frustration with this inconvenience, but I did not
make this policy on my own, and thus can't change it on a person by
person basis.  However, I did pass your email on to Dick Osgood, our
executive director, who will be present on the day of the Clean Up (I
will be out of town) and asked him to respond. Dick will be inspecting
boats that are coming from out of the town, but not participating in the
Prior Lake Clean Up, as stated in my email.

I trust that despite the difficulty this may pose for some divers, you
can see that we are taking extreme precautions to protect Lake
Minnetonka from an irreversible and very damaging infestation.  It was a
difficult decision to make, but to knowingly allow any boat to enter
Lake Minnetonka that has recently been in zebra mussel infested waters
is too great a risk for us to take.  Zebra mussel veligers are not
visible to the naked eye and can be contained in just a few drops of
water.  This policy may go above and beyond the DNR's recommendations,
but it is in accordance with the requirements of our special event
permit granted by the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District.

All the best,

Justin Hickman
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert:

While you are correct the MN DNR recommends the 5 days, we are being extra cautious and protective.  I trust you appreciate this stance.  Also, I have spoken with Donna at Prior Lake and I understand they will have plenty of boating capacity, so you and other divers will not need your own boats.

If you have any other questions, please contact me.  I look forward to your participation in our clean up event.

Thanks,

Dick Osgood, CLM

06-05-2010, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM by Hydro.)
this sounds so silly i can only assume it in reality is to ensure no one cheats and brings junk before the dive.... like having a ringer in a fishing tournament.   Big Grin 

in REALITY they are helpless to stop zebra mussels if someone is really determined to bring them to minnetonka they will just drive up and dump them in...

so yeah, either secretly making sure no one cheats and brings junk, or they buy into the SECURITY THEATER of inspections.

see: 
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-05-2010, 04:15 PM,
I am going with Hydro on this one.Junk collectors would get my vote to.
06-06-2010, 07:46 PM,
Got another email today, and this is what they are saying the reason is for this "aggressive effort":

I still think that this is bull.  Why just this year for this?  Is this something that will happen every year this event happens.  If so, I will only be attending the Prior Lake clean up!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert:

Our special event permit requires this action - that's the short answer.  The Lake Minnetonka Association in reality agrees with this step as we have advocated aggressive efforts to protect Lake Minnetonka and we believe we need to 'walk the walk.'  So for our part in this event, yes, we feel it is important to go the extra mile.  We understand this may be inconvenient and we hope you and others appreciate all efforts to protect Lake Minnetonka.  You are correct to note that we cannot inspect every boat, but we can do our part in a high profile event such as this one.

By now the Prior Lake event is over, so if you participated and did not use your boat, this should be a moot issue.  If not, we would welcome your participation and we will have boats available to shuttle the divers.

Thanks for your understanding.

Dick Osgood, CLM