Remember me
Lost Password Register

LMA Not allowing boats to Launch if at Prior Lake clean up!
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM,
Re: LMA Not allowing boats to Launch if at Prior Lake clean up!

I would say that this is the exception to the rule. LOL  Tongue
06-08-2010, 10:50 PM,
        Overall, this is has always been a fun event.  A big part of the problem now, is that fewer and fewer of the organizers dive.  They are boaters and homeowners looking out for those interests.  The rules are certainly starting to reflect that.  If you have ever dove at MOA, they ask what the last body of water you dove in was, fresh or salt, depending on your answer- they may have you dip your gear.  If that is good enough for an environment that has a fragile and expensive price tag, there should be a gear dip that will satisfy the four hour time slot that they are able to police.  Every year after the dive, they ask for constructive criticism on the event.  Rather than tear it apart, I would suggest that the diving community be involved it the planning.  It's a free boat dive, 2 free meals, dive booty and prize booty.  Give them  a chance this year, when they ask- try to steer them in the right direction, and if they don't listen, it's on them- not you
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM,
More info received via email:

Dear Divers,

I've received a few emails regarding our new policy this year towards boats from off of Lake Minnetonka and dive equipment.  I wanted to forward on one of the emails and the response from Dick Osgood, our  Executive Director.  Please take a moment to read Dick's response, as it contains some important details about Saturday (in bold).

First, a quick note about two things, weather and parking.  It looks like we might have rain on Saturday, but the event will not be cancelled unless there is thunder and lightning.  If you are driving a long distance, please take that into consideration.  Parking is available in the Bayside parking lot across the street from the Bayside Grille & Event Center.

Mr. Hickman,
    After reading the contents of your "important new policy" I sent this e-mail to my fellow divers.  While I agree with the intent of the policy,  I.E. keeping the invasive species in check, I think some serious leeway is due the divers here.  As described in the message
most divers will rinse out their Boyancy Compensator air bladders, with clean tap water, after each dive.  The reason for this is to keep bacteria from collecting in these bladders, which may sicken the diver, and to prolong service life of the unit.  During a dive these unit may be inflated manually by inserting the mouthpiece into the divers mouth .  So you can see the importance of rinsing out these ubladders on a regular basis.  As I mentioned it is almost impossible to get all this rinse water out of the bladders afterwards.
please reconsider your stance on this.  I am open to suggestions as to how you can determine contaminated lake water from clean tap water.  Perhaps a simple litmos test for clorine or ??  I am in no way suggesting a boycott or no show for a fun and productive event just that this policy will certainly dicqualify almost all divers who have made a dive in the last 3 weeks or so as the only way to remove all the water from these bladders is through very slow evaporation process. You may contact me by returning this message or call me at (612) 803-0012 if you wish to discuss this matter.
Thanks,
Dave Ruark

Dave:

Justin Hickman forwarded an email you had sent to him expressing your concerns regarding the Lake Minnetonka Association's policy regarding extra preventions steps we will require of the divers this year.  Justin asked me to respond, as I was the one who developed the policy.

First of all, thanks to you and the other divers for your participation and support of the dive event, now in its ninth year.  We do appreciate your work during this event and your role in highlighting the need to help keep Lake Minnetonka clean.

Secondly, I trust you will appreciate our growing concern regarding the introduction of zebra mussels and other unwanted plants, animals and viruses that are finding their way into Minnesota's lakes.  I believe it is everyone's job to take extra steps, especially since once in a lake, there are no remedies - these become permanent problems.  The dive event is a good way for the divers and the Lake Minnetonka Association to demonstrate a new ethic.

Finally, your points are well taken,  I trust the divers' indeed have experience and knowledge regarding the residual water in your BC's and how to handle it.  On the other hand, this does not guarantee they are 100% safe.  However, the precautionary steps, I believe, are simple and easy to comply with.  I have spelled out below what will be required and expected, so you can properly prepare and we can all be comfortable that the lake is adequately protected.

Our Special Event permit from the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District contains these requirements:

"All watercraft that participate in a similar event on Prior Lake on 6/5/10 are prohibited from participating in this event on Lake Minnetonka.  However, divers that participated in the Prior Lake event are allowed to participate, subject to complying with the additional steps outlined in your AIS Prevention Plan.  These steps include:

- The removal of aquatic plants, animals and mud from all scuba diving equipment.
- The draining of water from your buoyancy compensator, regulator, tank boot, and other containers.
- The rinsing of the suit and the inside of the buoyancy compensator with hot water.

To comply with these requirements, we will ask the divers, upon arrival at Bayside Grille, to show their equipment and demonstrate it is completely dry or completely drained.  For divers' boats that are being launched at Grays Bay (between 6:30 and 7:30 am.m), the inspector will inspect the boats and any divers' equipment being carried in the boats.  Boats and trailers will be inspected for visible, attached vegetation and zebra mussels, then the operator will be asked to demonstrate their boats, trailers and other equipment are completely dry or completely drained.

To all - I appreciate your vigilance and understanding with regard to these new procedures and practices.  The Lake Minnetonka Association, through events such as this one, wants to model this ethic some more and more people will become aware of and take the necessary precautionary steps to keep aquatic invasive species from harming our lakes.

I am looking forward to seeing the divers and all the cool junk they haul from the lake.

Thanks,

Dick Osgood

Event: The 9th Annual LMA Lake Clean Up

Date: Saturday, June 12, 2010 from 7:15 AM - 12:30 PM (CT)

687 Excelsior Blvd
Excelsior, MN 55331

For more information click here: The 9th Annual LMA Lake Clean Up

Please download and print your electronic tickets.  Click Here to Download your Tickets

06-09-2010, 04:32 PM,
Yeah Angie...I'm sure we all got the same email...thanks for posting though...what a mess this will be. 
We're helping keep their lake clean.  As TRINITY said, it's practically guaranteed that zebras are already
in Lake Minnetonka.

If the LMA and lake shore residents want to take such extreme measures, then perhaps next year, or even this year
depending on how many divers they turn away, they can clean up the lake themselves.
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM,
"Our Special Event permit from the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District contains these requirements:"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but is it the LMA and Lakeshore Owners the ones who issued a permit with conditions?
Again I may be reading it wrong but it seems the wrong people are getting the rap here.
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM,
I got a call today from Justin Hickman while I was at work.  I returned his phone call and asked him why he was calling me for.  He said that he wanted to know if I had my boat at the Prior Lake clean up, which I said "no". 

I also told him that I have heard from other sources that there are already zebra mussels in Minnetonka, and he said "there isn't any".  Ya, right!  I think that they are just kidding themselves.

I am still not sure that I will be attending the event.  I will still be launching at Gray's Bay, but may just do some wreck diving instead.
06-10-2010, 05:50 AM,
Wreck diving sounds good too Robert!!
06-10-2010, 05:59 AM,

Robert I'm with you, maybe bail on all the bs occuring with the clean up, and go wrecking instead, then cruise over to North Arm gather up some zebras, kill them, so we dont get busted (by the damn near Russian , I mean DNR or their sister operation on Minnetonka, the LMA) transporting live zebras (even on the same body of water), cruise over to Excelsior, and take a look at the haul from the clean up, then show the LMA the zebras, so we can all put this bs to rest for next year.                        TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
06-10-2010, 06:26 AM,

I posted the email for the benefit of those following the thread that are not registered with the assocation that sent it out. This is information all divers should be privy to, not just those registered for the clean up.

I can see both sides of this and its just plain sad. Hopefully all the backlash they are getting from this will have them planning better for next year.

Saturday is going to be interesting indeed  >Big Grin

06-10-2010, 09:27 AM,

Good point to make Angie...this is information that everyone should have.  Divers, those fishing, etc.