Remember me
Lost Password Register

7 days in Coz for 1/2 price !
03-11-2003, 11:57 AM,
7 days in Coz for 1/2 price !
I've been a diver for 5 years without doing much diving due to injuries. Went home from work early one day due to a snow storm and while cruising the net came across a Feb. special at Scuba Club Cozumel that was practically 1/2 price for 7 nights/6 days diving (2 tank) all inclusive. Just toying around I checked with Sun Country airline and found that with only a week's notice they had seats available and due to the short notice they were $300 less than with 21 days notice! I've never been one to do anything on the spur of the moment (not sure is that is anal or paranoid) but I called my boss and he said I could take a week off. WOW. Gimpy old me and my husband got in a full week of the nicest diving.

We never hit the same site twice. Cozumel is all drift diving but there are different speeds of current. In the past I wasn't crazy about drift diving, it moved me past things so fast I couldn't sit and study the little things going on. This trip the DM heard my request and took us to several sites with slower currents. I racked up quite a list of critters this time. One goal I didn't meet was to see a Yellow Headed Jaw fish. Now, I know they are common, but I want to watch a couple and haven't been able to do so yet.

We kept coming across piles of uniform size stones - the piles were about 8-12 inches high and about 2-3 foot across with the stones about 1-1.5 inch diameter. Too big for me to think of a fish piling them for a nest and not occuring in a location that I could blame it on wave action. Each pile was inhabited by a damsel fish community. Reminded me of prairrie dog towns - they all kept popping in and out.

The highlight was viewing 3 different Eagle Rays slowing gliding along. Husband had done 2 weeks of diving in Coz over the last 4 years and he had never seen rays. Saw a couple splendid toad fish, a stone fish, multiple bugs, eels, a couple turtles, 2 nurse sharks and fish, fish, fish. On 1 dive I saw 3 seperate Moorish Idols (sp) (Drum Fish) - beautiful. But my favorite is the puffer fish. I used to have a salt water tank and had a hand tame puffer.
03-11-2003, 12:02 PM,
Re:7 days in Coz for 1/2 price !
Wow, that sounds just awesome... Sometimes spur of the moment trips are the best ones. Thanks for the report, really incredible!

And yes, I'm envious Wink
03-11-2003, 01:31 PM,
Re:7 days in Coz for 1/2 price !
Hey cool! I have to ask everyone I hear of that goes to Cozumel, yes I know this is a lot of people... Did you go to Prima's? It's this really great italian place owned by an American. The guy is really nice and the food was incredible! (and safe)