Remember me
Lost Password Register

Underwater Preservation - Tools and Techniques Class 2010
06-07-2010, 08:10 AM,
Underwater Preservation - Tools and Techniques Class 2010
Attention GLSPS Members,

The Underwater Tools and Techniques class Sign up deadline is today.  We have openings!  The class is this weekend.  If interested, see previous posts for details about the class and sign up ASAP!  Please contact me at pkerber@glsps.org or with the contact information on the previous post.

Hope to hear from you and, have a little fun learning a new diving skill.

PJK

Safe Diving<br />PJK
06-18-2010, 11:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM by PJK.)
Re: Underwater Preservation - Tools and Techniques Class 2010
Greetings,

Sorry folks, the GLSPS BOD's decided to postpone the UWPTT class until further notice.  We didn't have enough students to conduct the class.  We started off with 10 people that were interested and 6 signed up.  As time grew near, people started to drop out.  The day of the deadline, we had two signed up students drop out at the last minute.  That gave us a total of 4 students.  I'm not sure what happened to all the people that were interested??  Perhaps poor planning?  The date wasn't written on the calendar, so someone else in the family filled another event in its place? Something better came up or, just simply, ran out of money. ???

This class is a very specialized class and costs the GLSPS a great deal of money.  We need a minimum of 6 students to pay for the Certified Commercial Diver / Instructor. 

It takes allot of time, money and effort to plan these GLSPS events.  We need your participation.  The interest seems to be dropping off for some reason.  So please, if you are interested and are serious about taking this very valuable class,  please contact the GLSPS to sign up.  We need at least 6 students to be able to conduct this class.  We have an official waiting list of 4 people at this time.  The class will only be offered if interest allows it to continue.  Otherwise, the class will not be offered by the GLSPS in the future.  You could loose your chance to be able to learn the necessary skills to help on any of the GLSPS Stabilization Projects.  So, please sign up as soon as you can. 

Hopefully we will hear from you soon.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
06-19-2010, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM by DetectorGuy.)

Mr. Kerber,
It sounds like a good class, and too bad it was postponed. I am not a member of the GLSPS and maybe someday I will sign on, as I admire all the good things the GLSPS does. I realize it takes a certain amount of time and money to put something like this class on. Was the Certified Commercial Diver / Instructor the only thing that the "tuition" would be spent on? I don't exactly know what the cost of this class is, but the 2009 class was $170 per head. If you needed 6 for this class to pay the instructor for 10 hours of his time... He would make $1020... in 10 hours... That's what I call a treasure dive! I wish I could make over a hundred bucks an hour someday. I know you have other staff on hand for this class but as members of the GLSPS I would assume they are volunteering their time. Times are tough for a lot of folks and some people are probably living from check to check. Might be the economy driving some of the poor attendance.
John
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM,
John
That was worded poorly.
It should have said it takes 6 paying students to cover the GLSPS expences.
Also included is the meals we provide.
And a 70 mile round trip for our boat (The Preservation) to be used as a training platform.
Fuel for compressors and generators.
Fees for the C-cards.
True there are a number of GLSPS members that donate their time (myself included)
I assure you no one is making $100 dollars per hour.
1st VP
Bob Olson
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM,
Bob,
That makes sense. Thanks. I kinda thought there was more to it than just the cost of the instructor. You guys do great things and wish you all the best. If I was a member, I wouldn't mind taking the class just for the experience. A while ago I ordered a catalog from Amron International and they sent me 3 thick catalogs with stuff they sell. One was dive gear for civilians and Military, one was all tactical gear, and one had commercial gear from helmets (Kirby Morgan, Desco, and Gorski) to hydraulic tools to 30 man Zodiacs to hyperbaric chambers to compressors to what ever... Those Hydraulic chainsaws look kinda neat. We use a similar hydraulic saw for cutting concrete on commercial buildings. I don't know how their prices are but if you need it they have it!

Here is a link to the Amron website:

John