Remember me
Lost Password Register

ONline free dive training
03-21-2003, 09:35 AM,
Re:ONline free dive training
My kids were playing in the tub last night to see who could hold their breath the longest underwater. The 3 year old was under for 33 seconds and the 5 year old 42 seconds. I was watching intently to make sure that they decided to surface. It seems a little odd to want to hold your breath underwater when there are manufacturers who make perfectly good bottle for holding various gases.

JoelW
03-21-2003, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2003, 10:59 AM by freedivernd.)
Joel,
I know you thought it was innocent enough play to practice with the kids in the bath tub but I hate to hear that they were practicing holding their breath in the bath tub. NOT A GOOD HABIT TO GET INTO. Fine that you were there, but not a good thing at all for children OR adults to be doing. Way to many people have drowned doing just that (un-supervised, but still). I've suggested before getting the very young used to a mask and snorkel in the tub, but can't stress enough the dangers of holding your breath in a bath tub. I know you were with them... but it could be a very dangerous practice for them to try it sometime when you're not. Don't let them get started on that o.k.? Pools, bathtubs, and jacuzzis are all very dangerous places to be holding your breath. I realize that, more so, it's young adults and experienced breath holders who try to push the limits that drown, possibly using rapid hyperventilation to increase the breath hold and in effect losing the urge to breath while doing so. I don't mean to scare anyone out of breath hold diving, it is such a great feeling of freedom and you will fall in love with it, but you must realize that it is so easy to black out you would not believe it. An instant of dizziness, a little tunnel vision, and blackness. Great that you're getting your kids ready for the water, and the enjoyment of freediving!! .. but for now, stick to the dryland for the breath holds. Have them close there mouth and plug their noses. Oh, to be so young and have the flexibility of youth to really stretch the lungs and rib cages. Sometimes I get so sore from stretching.. if only. Joel, I'm your friend (from the board here, anyways), and hate to lecture..and I post this not only to you, but I have to print this for all on the board. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH IN A BATHTUB OR JACUZZI. Above all, express to your kids not to be holding their breath in the tub.
I know we all did it.. but we we were all lucky.. and we didn't know better. Now we know.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-21-2003, 12:08 PM,
No offense taken. Normally they use a snorkel but it was downstairs. Like I said, I personally don't see the fascination with the whole breath hold thing.

By the way, for anyone looking for a swim mask for kids take a look at the masks by Aqualung.

I use the larger version when swimming laps. I hate two piece swim goggles and most pools around here won't allow full masks. My two use the kid version and love them. They aren't as picky about sealing as the 2-piece swim goggles.

JoelW
03-28-2003, 11:58 PM,
Very interesting discussion. I have never had much interest in Freediving, but seem to have a natual ability to hold my breath. Like many people, I have had breath holding competitions with kids. I can beat them every time. I found that very usfull when I got certified as a lifeguard with my 15 year old. It is a very usfull skill when you are trying to get a drowning victim from 12 feet under.

When I did my open water, We had to dive with just a snorkel, and I went down 32 feet, and back, with not much problem. I just need to practice the ear clearing more.

When you freedive, do you wear weight to make ourself nuetral? I am heavy in the water, and can walk on the bottom of the pool, when just wearing a swim suit, but with a wet suit, I would need weight.
Family of five
All love to dive, Dennie
03-29-2003, 09:25 AM,
huisende,
the more and more I dive the less weight I've been wearing. If I am going to depth I aim for nuetral bouyancy around -40'. Depending on the wetsuit.. I'm wearing anywhere from no weights up to 6lbs. If I am snorkeling or spearfishing, staying less than -20' or -30', I'll wear more weights, maybe be nuetral -15' or so.
Fred
03-30-2003, 10:58 AM,
Session 2, Phase 3:
O.K., on that last freedive to -20 or -25' we came back to the surface with way more air time than we had thought possible. Never even got the urge to breath, and was only under for 20 seconds. This time we can do it better. Breath up, full, slow exhales, deep, slow inhales, relax.. 3 or 4 breaths later, maybe a little packing, a good surface dive, clearing the ears soon and often, slow, steady kicks.. What?! I'm already at the bottom?! A little arch of the back and you level off just a few feet from the top of the weeds. Feel a little mask squeeze, put that puff of air in there (I hate doing that), hey, is that a bull head?, yup, so you cruise a little, is that an urge to brea...hey, over there is a big northern, I'm goin for it. Doesn't he even know I'm here.. I guess it's awful quiet, but listen to my heart, it's pounding but so slow. Hey, that's right.. there is another urge to breath, but look at the size of that northern! I better go to the surface, get another good breath and come down for another look. I pull with my arms and give a good dolphin kick to start for the surface, relax, I like the dolphin kick as you glide to the surface and the bouyancy takes over and pushes you to the air. Clear the snorkel, deep breath,.. hey, I could've stayed down there longer! If I could have stayed there longer then I surely can go deeper. I'm moving to where it's -50'. A good breath up, a good surface dive, I pass the -25' I was at earlier, equalizing the ears has been going good and the misearable mask is starting to squeeze again so air has got to go there. Gol, it's getting dark, where is the bottom. Now I'm at -35', I'm feeling some pressure, why can't I equalize?! More air to the mask, head up a little, ahh, equalized. Head down, now to -40'.. why can't I equalize?! Where has all my air gone for equalizing! There's just funny noises coming from my throat and no popping in my ears. I'm going back to the surface. SEE WHAT HAPPENS when you try to go a lot deeper without getting used to the shallower depths. We'll start over.. maybe hang at -30' or -35' for awhile until we're comfortable with that, then aim for the -40' and -50'. One step at a time. Wink
Fred