Remember me
Lost Password Register

ONline free dive training
03-20-2003, 08:05 AM,
Re:ONline free dive training
Good morning Fred!
You're getting us all primed and ready for some freediving in June.
Does that mean you're going to come and blow some bubbles
with us Big Grin
03-20-2003, 08:15 AM,
Mornin'!
yup, I'm trying to get everyone primed for some freediving.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I will go scuba diving, but, I've said it before and never did. I am really going to try this time. (I've said that before too). At the least... I'll have the necessary gear there....
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-20-2003, 08:24 AM,
I should have mentioned that if you want to try some freediving at the get together there's no reason to go out and get a low volume mask (other than you're going to get hooked anyway).. I think I have 4 or 5, maybe 6 of them. I think I got a good variety of fins/sizes too. Dry suit type divers should bring there old wetsuit if they want to do some breath hold diving. I do have a variety of sizes of those too but they're not pretty, well, pretty cheap. Junk is more like it.. but they'll work in a pinch.
Fred
03-20-2003, 11:46 AM,
Fred, What you are trying to tell us is you want us to try freediving. Ok I get that, but looking at those red, red eyes gives me pause :-\

It just lookes like it hurts, I'm sure it doesn't

I will take it as a "Learn from others experience" and hope not to repeat it. Smile
03-20-2003, 03:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2003, 03:49 PM by Punky.)
Fred;
How does the pressure of the water when diving affect how long you can hold your breath as opposed to doing it on the surface?
When I was a kid I could hold my breath for 2min 20sec.
Just tried it now only got 1min 30sec.
03-20-2003, 03:50 PM,
You don't have to be freediving to get a mask squeeze.

I had one of my basic openwater students get the same squeeze on a checkout dive about 15 years ago. We only hit about 40', but with the big three-panel mask that they had on it was more than enough to give them the "Frankenstein eyes" that you saw so clearly in Fred's picture.

My student didn't even realize that it happended to him until we got back to the surface and his buddy noticed.

Most any mask will do for your first attempt at freediving. If you are really getting into it I would grab one of Fred's masks and try and go a bit deeper- as long as you have proper buddy support!!

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-20-2003, 05:30 PM,
Punky,
Holding your breath while freediving has several different implications, but I will attempt to answer your question: How the pressure of diving affects the length of the breath hold? It should, in theory, lengthen the breath hold, due to several reasons, but also, certain reasons will shorten it. The diving reflex, bradycardia + the release of oxygenated hemoglobin to the vitals will in effect allow for a longer breath hold than at the surface. Also, to a certain depth, the pressure on the volume of air in the lungs can give the sensation of more air for your body, even though it is getting squeezed down to the point where you can't seem to pull it from your lungs to your mouth. But, things that work against you are the physcological aspects, wanting to live and psych of being a long way from the surface, all can work against you. Also, at the surface.. without packing, you cannot take as large a breath as you can with your torso out of the water because that little bit of water pressure restricts your lung capacity. Comfort under the water and at depth becomes the key. Doing long breath holds or personal bests is a dry land thing to do, but, as you train yourself in breath holding you can sense when you have a good breath hold and when you don't, so also, you can sense, when you can have a good dive, and when you can't. I preach getting the sensations of breath holding on dry land, take it to the water to increase your comfort level with breath hold diving without pushing your max or for that matter coming close to it. I also preach having a buddy, and that's where getting more and more people involved in freediving comes in. I should practice what I preach (as for buddies) but Jon down there in Madison won't drive the 500 miles every weekend to dive with me. I am getting some locals hooked up here.. so soon I plan to be surrounded by buddies.
03-20-2003, 05:40 PM,
Punky, I should have added that 1:30 is really good. On dry land generally number 3 and number 4 breath holds are the best. Most people progress so fast in breath holding, you'll be at 2:20 again in no time if you give it a chance. Did you give it 3 good tries? I also want to express that hyperventilating is a bad thing, so learn to do your breath holds with out rapid hyperventilation.
Fred
03-20-2003, 06:37 PM,
I only did one breath hold and did it per your instructions.
Three long slow breaths in and out and hold the fourth intake.
Just did another and managed to get 2.00
03-20-2003, 08:00 PM,
Sounds like me might have another Freediver on the board.

I am too scared to time my breath hold. (I would be embarassed)