Remember me
Lost Password Register

Not necessarily photo
03-14-2003, 12:03 PM,
Not necessarily photo
Over the past few weeks I have been playing with the idea of getting a housing for my sony dsc-707. The price range for the housings were from $760-$2000+. Given the cost I also went looking at ebay to see about picking up a used camera and housing and not worry about wrecking my sony. Along the way I found a complete video setup: camera, 75m housing, 2 100w lamps, filters, w/a lens, batteries, travel case, etc. Admittedly it is an anolog camera as opposed to digital, but the whole affair was less than the cheapest housing for my camera.

Last year I was looking for one of these housings for my video camera. They are tough to find since they are not made anymore. Looks like I'll be playing with video this year.

JoelW
03-14-2003, 12:41 PM,
Re:Not necessarily photo
Joel, that's awesome! Great deal you scored there. Sounds like you'll be having fun this summer.
03-14-2003, 01:31 PM,
Sounds like Joel will need a couple good dive buddies this summer. Ahem.... Wink
--Jason
03-14-2003, 02:01 PM,

I am looking forward to burning through a lot of tape this year.

Admittedly this may be a bit excessive, but one of the things that Derrick and I have been talking about is doing video of various skills. We would like to see what improvement we have made since the DIRF class last year. Seeing it on video should be more helpful than having someone describe what they saw. If anyone else is interested seeing what they look like give a holler and we'll give it a try. I'll need to wait until I am sure that this unit won't flood or something untoward like that.

JoelW
03-14-2003, 02:08 PM,
Will this be bungeed in some way, and is there a backup if this one fails?
Wink

Seriously though... that sounds really awesome. Would be neat to see what you really look like in the water. I know sometimes I feel level, but always have this feeling my butt is up or my legs are down... Would be a good training tool as well. Perhaps we can find a way to get these videos digitized and turned into web presentations?
03-14-2003, 02:23 PM,
Joel,
Somewhere I have an old analog video board for the computer and all the software to go with it! I'll do some searching in the near future and see if I can track it down.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-14-2003, 03:11 PM,
Fred,

If you did that would be great. I have been doing a little digging to see what is required to pull analog into the black box. It's going to be a bit more clumsy than digital, but I would hate to shell a bunch for digital and then find out I don't like doing video.

JoelW
03-14-2003, 03:15 PM,
You just may have your own cable tv show soon Smile
03-14-2003, 03:22 PM,
Joel,
I did a quick scan and found the board, software, and manuals. P.M. and well see if I can get it to you. I'm off to the pool now so I'll answer later.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-14-2003, 03:26 PM,
My frreediving buddy and I have been taping eachother in the pool to try and improve our dolphin kick with the monofin on. It is great feedback to see exactly what you are doing, right or wrong, and try and fix it on the spot.

The friends of mine who have done the DIR-F class said that the video critique was one of the best things they every did to improve their diving.

I use an Olympus C5050 digital camera with a 512 mb CF card in it to get almost 30 minutes of video time on my digital camera. It's nice and small and I can freedive with it very easily.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin