Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone willing to help me pick out some used gear?
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM,
Anyone willing to help me pick out some used gear?
Hi everyone. Yep, I'm a newbie diver, having only dived in Cozumel last year.  I've decided I need to buy my own equipment so that I keep diving...  Anyhow, there's a bunch of stuff on Ebay, of course, from people who tried it and quickly gave up on it.  Is there any sweet soul out there who might help steer me through the many brands and offering to pick out a decent value?  You might make a new diving or beer buddy out of it!

Thanks much for the consideration,

Andre
06-24-2010, 03:22 PM,
Re: Anyone willing to help me pick out some used gear?
Welcome to the diving world. Before you pick out a good value I would reccomend evaluating how often you plan to dive, what type of diving you plan to do and what your long range diving plans are. Considering those things will help you make a better decision now with regard to what equipment to buy. This can save you money in the long run by keeping you from replacing your gear as your diving interests change or progress.
06-24-2010, 04:33 PM,
That's so true!! You don't need to go far to find a diver with gear they don't need. I have an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 ($800) that I never use. I don't like integrated computers.

Aircells, backplates, octos... I have all kinds of stuff I didn't need or don't want.

You could get used right off this board from people you know. They are likely to let you dive the gear before you buy, something you can't get from national BB's. Post "wanted to buy" and the product.

Rental for the first season or two is smart money long term.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-24-2010, 04:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2010, 08:41 PM by mermaid.)

arcFlash is so right wirehairs, renting gear to start with will give you the chance to try different equipment
and find out which brands you like BEFORE you buy a piece of gear you decide you don't want.