Remember me
Lost Password Register

is vis good anywhere right now?
08-21-2010, 07:31 PM,
is vis good anywhere right now?
i was at sylvia/twin lake all day, did a dive on each side of the lake... usually its ~15' but the algae is in bloom and its 5' at best... better on the west portion of the lake. Tongue

any place getting good vis? wazee, superior, crosby? 

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM,
Re: is vis good anywhere right now?
Any of the three. ;D
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
08-21-2010, 08:29 PM,
just did a quick night snorkel up here at crosby.. I'd say it wasn't too bad.  Looking forward to some daylight snorkeling tomorrow.. probably over at Portsmouth.  hope it's good.  It has to be better than most places (in the mid west anyway)
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-21-2010, 10:16 PM,
Did three dives at Crosby this morning/afternoon.  Vis wasn't the best, but better than the normal local lake we have hit lately.  Cloudy haze through out.  Better below the thermal.  Only went down to 77'.  I guess you can't expect awesome vis with all the rain that has been hitting the pits lately.  Still worth diving anytime.
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM,
I had the boat at Portsmouth today, I was just freediving and only to about 30' but I thought the vis was great... back in the west bay I had about 20' vis from the surface, heading east along the south shore I did get into some layers of silt, but for the most part they were near the surface and things opened up once you got under them.  Way better vis than anything I've been in since spring.  I have got to get over to crosby/ironton more often.
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-23-2010, 06:14 PM,
we had arguably some of the clearest river(clearwater river) water i have seen only clear was when it dried up and was pure spring fed. water is super warm...and clear! my ride got so fed up with me I nearly got left behind as we were road tripping to a family event in the saint cloud area..... Freediving.. deepest hole were we were was 8ft. but its got walleye, channel cats and all sorts of stuff(fish)..Ive got realy nice videos but dont have time at the moment to edit..

.....I really need to get back for a day trip .

vis was probably 10ft.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM,
I guess that it all depends on what you call great,
08-25-2010, 02:23 PM,
10ft on the river Is in my opinion Great for the Extended metro area. I have seen it better. when it really dries up to almost zero flow,it switches from surface run off to ground water/spring water. It becomes ICE cold and clarity is probably 20ft. That might still happen yet this year. but I'm happy with the conditions, as it is warm and relatively clear..and more important full of fish.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
08-27-2010, 07:43 PM,
we did the camping thing at Wazee over the 14th weekend and we had 25 to 30'. Water was so warm down to 26'. Over on the sherwood side I was in swim trunks and a BC with tank...thant's it. It was like diving in the tropics. The bass were all up in our faces, pretty cool. On the south side, we did the rocks formations, saw the john, and after a morning dive of getting sick in my 7mm farmers because I was so hot, I did the 2nd dive with just the farmer top, no hood, and gloves in my BC. Good thing for the gloves.....I may be a Canuck and can tolerate some cold water but good lord Almighty. On top the water was like a hot tub.....kinda nice.....but at 49 ft it went to 43 degrees and the lady I was taking on her deepest dive of her 9 she has done said the top of my head was blue. OMG....I thought my head was burning....lol. We stayed at the local campground and RV park. Great place....really enjoyed it.
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease