Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pony
07-05-2010, 09:23 AM,
Re: Pony
I'm going to sling it under the left arm.

I'm fairly certain he is talking about something like this:

So if you have the reg on the top under your arm, the valve would stick straight down - I think.  I've got a call in to clarify and for a picture.
07-05-2010, 04:02 PM,
When we do OC deco dives, the regulators are pressurized and then the valve turned off.  When we do a gas switch, we verify the correct gas is being switched to and the tank is turned on at that time.  However, while diving my rebreather, the tank I need to breathe first, in case of emergency, is turned on all the time with the other deco gases pressurized and then turned off.  I guess a "pony" would fall into the leave it on category because if you need it you likely really need it.  However, other than a true OOA situation on OC, you should have time to turn the valve on if you needed it.  A freeflowing reg will still give you air.  You could switch to your pony and shutdown the freeflow.

Your thoughts on the instabuddy are the reason I'd have second thoughts about passing the bottle.  The other part I don't quite understand is running out of air.  Equipment problems I can sort of understand, but this isn't rocket science.  Looking at a gauge isn't that difficult. 

OK,... Now I have a question related to "turning the pony tank on if or when you have a problem"... What are your thoughts on turning the pony tank on prior to the dive versus waiting to turn it on until you have a problem? I was told that if you have an older reg on the pony, and don't turn it on before the dive, that water can get forced through the mouthpiece, through the first stage, and into the second stage creating problems. I do fully like the idea of being able to reach the knob for a lot of reasons.
I am on the fence with the passing the pony/stage to a "instabuddy". The "instabuddy" probably was certified by the same agency (or agencies) as me or many of you. I don't remember in Openwater, Advanced Openwater, Rescue Diver, or Divermaster Certification anywhere that taught this skill... Did I miss that whole chapter? Would an "instabuddy" (who you may have just met that same day) be on board with learning this new skill set during the emergency situation? I agree that passing a stage has its place, but there are the standard practices for out of air situations that were taught to all of us that should do the trick.
[/quote]
07-05-2010, 04:57 PM,
In the case of instabuddy running out of air, I think its going to go something like this:

Outcome 1) Barely trained blue water instabuddy bolts for surface and I don't get involved.

Outcome 2) Moderately trained instabuddy swims over and steals my reg out of my mouth.  I switch to my backup and hope he doesn't do some panicked spinning maneuver and get my long hose tied around my neck.  We surface, I club instabuddy with pony.

Outcome 3) Instabuddy signals low air, I donate primary and switch to backup.  If instabuddy is sucking down my gas in a major way, I may need to switch to the pony.

None of those scenarios involve me giving the pony.  I just don't see that coming up, but if it did, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to them.  60-80' down is not the place to argue whether or not they know what to do with it - if it increases their chances of making the surface alive, they can have it.
07-10-2010, 12:49 PM,
Well, my tank arrived.  I think I am going to follow these instructions:

I went to West Marine and picked up the stainless steel hose clamp, 3/16 line, and fuel line.  Now I just need to figure out what to put under and over the hose clamp and what to use for band to hold the reg hose.

Anyone have a suggestion?  If inner tubes are best,  does anyone know what size I need?  In the end, I went with an AL19.  So do I need some kind of motorcycle tube?
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM,
If you are looking to a rubber band to hold the hose, use some wrist seal that has been trimmed off your suit.  That is what I did, and it works great.
07-11-2010, 08:55 PM,
1" tubular webbing works well on the hose clamps.

07-12-2010, 08:04 AM,
I used a tube from a lawn tractor. They have many sizes. I got it at Harbor Freight.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.